Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Cruciate rupture in other leg

Pretty sure Molly's left cruciate has gone now, 3 months after the right. Just when she was recovering so well after her surgery too. Very disappointing.

I know one often follows the other, but I had hoped it wouldn't be this soon.

She has an appointment on Tuesday for a follow up, but I've no patience to wait that long so going to phone the vets tomorrow morning.

Has anyone got any experience with second cruciate ops in the opposite leg? Did it affect the first operated on leg?

Thanks.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Oh flip.........this is so unfair I know that it is always a possibility because of the extra strain put on the other leg, but Molly is not a heavy dog, and I don't believe it happens that often in a small dog.

Bitz managed to avoid it, so I have no experience but will hope and pray to all the gods that Molly has merely pulled something. Good luck for tomorrow.
debster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2013, 07:59 PM
oh no poor little thing we were told by the vet that it wasn't a foregone conclusion that the second one goes when they are little as it is usually an injury rather then caused by being a big do etc
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 09:05 PM
So sorry to hear this - poor Molly.
My Tilly (a fairly big girl) had cruciate rupture surgery when she was 3, but she was lucky that there were no further problems except arthritis (and she lived to age 16).
Such a pity if Molly has suffered a second rupture specially so soon after the first has been dealt with. Good luck.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Fingers crossed for Molly that it is not the cruciate.

(((hugs))) xx
malty
New Member!
Female 

15-04-2013, 07:53 AM
My terrier cross had both cruciates torn at the same time!
The vet repaired the worst tear first and 4 weeks later repaired the other one.
He coped really well and that was 7 years ago.

I think the thing is that you need to follow the instructions regarding rest and very little exercise to the letter.

It's a long haul but well worth it in the end.

by the way, my dog had the traditional repair.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 08:06 AM
So sorry to read this. I've no advice, but having a dog that's recovering from a CL operation, I offer my sympathy. Let us know how you get on at the vets. x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Phoned the GUVS on Monday morning and they said to keep yesterdays appointment, which we did.

She had x-rays yesterday and the vet has confirmed a cruciate rupture and also said that the knee cap has been pulled to the side because of it, but the surgery to stabilise the cruciate should correct the knee. She is booked in for Friday for surgery.

It ha sbeen a long 12 weeks to get her to where she is with the other leg and now we're about to have another long few months. Oh well, what can you do but get on with it. At least we know what we're dealing with having just been through it all.

To carry on as we're doing until Friday and give her Metacam daily.

Hopefully the surgery will be straightforward.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Phoned the GUVS on Monday morning and they said to keep yesterdays appointment, which we did.

She had x-rays yesterday and the vet has confirmed a cruciate rupture and also said that the knee cap has been pulled to the side because of it, but the surgery to stabilise the cruciate should correct the knee. She is booked in for Friday for surgery.

It ha sbeen a long 12 weeks to get her to where she is with the other leg and now we're about to have another long few months. Oh well, what can you do but get on with it. At least we know what we're dealing with having just been through it all.

To carry on as we're doing until Friday and give her Metacam daily.

Hopefully the surgery will be straightforward.
Sorry to hear she's having to go through surgery/recovery all over again. But at least you know the routine and what to expect.

Fingers crossed surgery goes well and knee cap gets sorted.
xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Nicola I am sorry to hear this, it seems so unfair for poor Molly after she has already had to go through this once

I hope all goes well for the second operation..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >