View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
siouxb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2006, 10:37 AM

Toilet training in a specific place-any advice?

What methods have you all found to work to get you pup to use the same place to toilet themselves?

My 18 week okd lab/gsd only arrived yesterday so is still settling in, but we want to train him to use the same area each time. OH has built a sand pit area at the bottom of the garden, but he seems to prefer my veggie patch!! He's a big lad, and picking him up to take him there really is not going to be an option for much longer! And I don't like to drag him.

I can say toilet to him now, and he will sit in there! But then promptly gets out again and uses the veg patch! I know it takes time, but do you have any tried and tested methds??

Thanks everso

sioux & Barney
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2006, 10:52 AM
It is helpful if the designated toilet area is fenced off so that the pup cannot wander off elsewhere.

Of course, that is not always a practical option. I would put a lead on the pup and take it to the desired area. The lead needs to be long enough to allow the pup to sniff around a bit as that stimulates toileting. Also leave a poo in the area and don't immediately wash away urine as this will also encourage a repeat performance and he will know it is an acceptable place to go. Just stand there holding the lead. As pup is performing say your toilet word, praise and reward after the feat is accomplished. Once done remove the lead and let the pup move around freely as a bonus reward.

It may take a little while to sink in but most pups understand quite quickly where they should go and which are the areas that are off limits
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree with all that SB has said!

I would also say that at 18 weeks your pup may have become used to toileting on a specific surface, thus his desire to go on your veg patch!!!!!!!!
You need to retrain him onto the sand, which will confuse him initially but he's young enough to learn fast.

As SB says, don't kep the area clean. I would advise not washing it for a fortnight,it will stink, but that's what you want, also always leave one or 2 poos down. Keep your dog on a lead and give him a treat when he's spends...try to do it AS he is doing it and say your chosen word, then lots of praise and (this is where I'd disagree slightly with SB) for the first week or 2, until he gets the idea, back in the house, for lots of tickles and a game. You want his association to be ...outside..toilet...if you let him loose in the garden too quickly you could find him still pooing in your veg patch and holding onto some of his urine so he can go where he wants. The association has to initially be...outside means sand area and toilet! Once he has that, then you can staty letting him loose, our pups sometimes have a run round the garden, but not until their spending routine in their area is well established and I know that they will go to that area when they need to 'go'.!!!!

Good luck, sure you'll have your dog doing it in no time at all!!!!!!
Hope this helps
Axxxxxx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Only thing I could add really is to pick up the poops from the veggie patch, [ and those done on walks ], and put them in the designated area along with a little of the veggie patch soil on the sand surface as it will give him the same surface that he seems to prefer, or is more used to, until the soil dissipates within the sand.
Doing that transfers the scent for him and creates `praise opportunities` for positive association for him sniffing toward it.

As a little extra aid, you can get an aerosol spray or drops for puppy and kitten toilet training which you spray on to the place you want them to go. Its designed to draw them to it, ie on cat litter for cats, puppy floor pads etc for pups, and should help equally on sand though you would probably need to top it up just before taking pup to the area initially ].
Its probably also worth putting a 2 x 2 wooden post in his `loo` [ upright I mean, not just laid on the ground ], and spraying that as well as he will be sniffing lamp posts ect which other dogs have scented so giving him his own post could be a further encouragement as a scent trigger for peeing there long before he starts lifting his leg.
The spray is widely available in large pet shops, not sure about the drops availability, [ a concentrate of whats in the spray I think, going off memory ], but they are bound to be available online if not in UK shops generally.

Dont forget, when praising for getting it right, dont praise until *after* pup has finished toiletting so as not to distract him from the, er, `task` mid flow.

If possible, section off the veggie patch temporarily to help encourage your pup to seek out the `proper` area as it increases his opprtunities for success rather than an obvious draw to failure if you see what I mean.

HTH
siouxb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks all, I shall try these methods when he wakes up!

Off to fence off the veg!!

sioux
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 04:10 PM
You may want to try a 'pee post'-i find it really helps! It only costs £5 and saves having a napalmed lawn...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...light=pee+post