View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Saw "banana's" in the supermarket yesterday. I never cease to be amused/irritated by security signs proclaiming "this door is alarmed"
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer View Post
I never cease to be amused/irritated by security signs proclaiming "this door is alarmed"
LOL Then there's a now quite famous classic:

"Don't Drink and Drive - It Saves Lives"

Obviously not realising that what they are actually saying is drinking and driving saves lives, and so we shoudn't be doing it!

What it should have stated, of course, is: "Save Lives - Don't Drink and Drive."
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 05:11 PM
There are those who want to see hyphens banned.

I don't agree. I feel for the pickled-herring seller whose reputation would be marred. XjX
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I haven't joined in this thread before but it is interesting. I am now terrified to type though incase I make a mistake

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is related or not but do you think people from a couple of centuries ago would be appalled at our language anyway? Even the people who have correct spelling and grammar.
Because if I read books from a long time ago it takes me a lot longer because I have to go over things to understand them. It seems that the way we write and speak has changed a lot to become what it is today Maybe not spelling so much, but the way we arrange words. In another thousand years the English language could be completely different but they would see it as the right way and probably resent it when it changes again

I hope this is not totally irrelevant to the grammar/spelling discussion
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10