View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
You see, I see the opposite, very little compassion for the dogs in this entire thread, and in my mind it's totally tragic that the baby & dogs all died needlessly. My sympathies are with all of them.

Regarding my "bewildering" statement, I meant that it's quite a huge conclusion to draw that some of us must not have children/lack empathy etc. Those are rather personal remarks IMO and bring nothing to the conversation in hand.

Art the end of the day I'm sure we are all on the same page, just coming at it from different viewpoints.
Again I think you've made an excellent post and I agree the statement regarding 'us' who have a different opinion to most must be barren of both having kids and empathy for all parties in this tragic event.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Have you ever been pregnant? Carried a HUMAN baby. Delivered it. And then feel sympathy for a dog that killed that newborn baby?

And if my dog ever killed a child I would kill my dog myself.

Too right you are, when you consider that dogs should be permitted to kill a newborn HUMAN baby? And not be humanely euthanised?
She would hardly carry anything but a HUMAN baby and delivered it would she?

What a truely ignorant statement that only those who have had babies can have feelings towards humans!

I've also not seen anywhere on this thread say that they believe dogs should be permitted to kill anyone let alone a HUMAN baby - could you show me a quote please? Again not only bewildering but down right rude.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2014, 07:53 PM
A woman carried and delivered a human baby.

Within a few days one or both of two dogs killed that newborn baby.

And somehow you think that it right? That a human baby is of less "value" of the dogs that killed it?

I guess you have never carried a baby inside you and gone through the agony of delivering it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Think you'll find I said virtually the same thing in the bottom of the post you quoted.
Yet you also said the dogs " could" have gone on to lead normal lives
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Yet you also said the dogs " could" have gone on to lead normal lives
I said could because with the right person, the right home they could have. I also recognised that that person would be one in a million and unlikely to appear therefore it was fairer the dogs were put to sleep than waiting in kennels for that one in a million chance.

I say it as someone who has a dog they do not trust around children and manage accordingly. I do not, at this point in time want children and therefore an incident like this in the dogs past would not put me off taking it on. However I recognise that I am not your average dog owner and there are not many people in my situation that could safely manage a dog like this.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
A woman carried and delivered a human baby.

Within a few days one or both of two dogs killed that newborn baby.

And somehow you think that it right? That a human baby is of less "value" of the dogs that killed it?

I guess you have never carried a baby inside you and gone through the agony of delivering it.
Hold on a second. You are looking too deep into this! Nobody said that it's right to let a dog kill a baby. What on Earth? We also never said any child is worth less than a dog, we simply implied that it can be subjective depending on who is viewing it.

I also really wish you would STOP with the agony of delivering thing, as well. I have gone through the "agony" of having a lung collapse and almost dying and several other horrible pains so PLEASE! "Agony" can also be subjective.

I would rather deliver a baby than have to face some of the horrors that I have seen/been through ever again, I don't care HOW much it hurts! It's obvious that you don't realize physical pain isn't the worst kind of agony and that delivering a child isn't the worst kind of pain anyway.

Ever been shot? Ever had your arm trapped sideways in a car door for hours while they cut away the door? Ever broken a bone so badly the bone sticks through your skin? The pain of it all isn't even really relevant here anyway.

You would do well to calm down and realize that we are NOT saying babies are worth less than dogs, or that dogs should be allowed to harm children. We are just saying that we'd want our pets back because we love them and we'd NOT stand by while they were killed.

You may not understand that or agree with that, but you WILL NOT sit here and condescend people like you're doing. Also, can you please stop saying you'd kill your dog... we get it already!

We understand how strongly you feel, and we are not trying to undermine you or your opinions in any way... but you really are taking it too far. We need to disagree with more grace on a subject such as this.

I wouldn't stand there and let my dog hurt a kid. I wouldn't purposely endanger anybody, especially innocent kids. None of us think it's RIGHT to let a dog hurt a child. I'm not sure where you got that from.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I said could because with the right person, the right home they could have. I also recognised that that person would be one in a million and unlikely to appear therefore it was fairer the dogs were put to sleep than waiting in kennels for that one in a million chance.

I say it as someone who has a dog they do not trust around children and manage accordingly. I do not, at this point in time want children and therefore an incident like this in the dogs past would not put me off taking it on. However I recognise that I am not your average dog owner and there are not many people in my situation that could safely manage a dog like this.
100% agree with what you've said here. The "right owner" would be incredibly hard to come by because the dogs have killed a baby, not just bitten, or attacked, but so much more severe. That said, someone like me who has NO visiting children, none in the immediate family and otherwise living a quiet, rural kind of lifestyle, could well provide a great home to a dog like that and depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't necessarily be put off.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:23 PM
I really don't think that anyone could take on a dog that had killed a human child and so, therefore, had the potential to kill another and guarantee the safety of having that dog around.

Even the most meticulous management system has the potential to break down. Even the most unexpected of circumstances can arise to alter current situations.

It really is very unrealistic to assume that a totally 'safe' environment can be provided bearing in mind the amount of children there are in the World
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I really don't think that anyone could take on a dog that had killed a human child and so, therefore, had the potential to kill another and guarantee the safety of having that dog around.

Even the most meticulous management system has the potential to break down. Even the most unexpected of circumstances can arise to alter current situations.

It really is very unrealistic to assume that a totally 'safe' environment can be provided bearing in mind the amount of children there are in the World
I lead a quiet life with no visiting children. During the week my dogs walk on securely fenced private property. On my days off we walk in public however that is not at all necessary as I can meet their needs whether we walk here or elsewhere. I can see all around to check for other people prior to releasing my dogs from their leads (I currently have one people aggressive dog anyway who is always on lead and muzzled in public). If I was at all concerned I am confident I could meet a dogs needs using a long line and muzzle even on the private property.

As I said though, not many live like I do.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
100% agree with what you've said here. The "right owner" would be incredibly hard to come by because the dogs have killed a baby, not just bitten, or attacked, but so much more severe. That said, someone like me who has NO visiting children, none in the immediate family and otherwise living a quiet, rural kind of lifestyle, could well provide a great home to a dog like that and depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't necessarily be put off.
Thank you. The other thing is the dogs wouldn't necessarily race over to kill ever child they saw. No one knows what happened here. They could be fine with toddlers or older children, they may only have issues with babies in cots/prams (I don't tend to see many of them on walks in my area). No one with any sense would even risk the safety of the children to find out but there is no reason a dog like that could not be walk on a strong, secure, lead with a muzzle. After all that is how I manage my people aggressive dog.
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »