View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2014, 03:32 PM
I'd be interested to see that link. And also to know whether this just applies to dogs that are BOTH off lead?
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know the full story? I'd like to read the exact details of what happened before signing.

I do worry sometimes though that these petitions for new enforcements and law changes can effect responsible dog owners too.

Not going to lie, but my own terrier has been involved in scuffles/fights. Never causing any damage might I add. Fortunately no further incidents have happened for about 4 years or more now and I did take necessary responsible action after the last scuffle, seeking a behaviourist and keeping her on lead at all times around other dogs ( although she does get to come off lead in remote areas ). But there would need to be a clear understanding of what you would get prosecuted for. Would it be for your dog killing another? For being out of control? For scuffles? For any form of "fighting" whatsoever?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Does anyone know the full story? I'd like to read the exact details of what happened before signing.

I do worry sometimes though that these petitions for new enforcements and law changes can effect responsible dog owners too.

Not going to lie, but my own terrier has been involved in scuffles/fights. Never causing any damage might I add. Fortunately no further incidents have happened for about 4 years or more now and I did take necessary responsible action after the last scuffle, seeking a behaviourist and keeping her on lead at all times around other dogs ( although she does get to come off lead in remote areas ). But there would need to be a clear understanding of what you would get prosecuted for. Would it be for your dog killing another? For being out of control? For scuffles? For any form of "fighting" whatsoever?
Sensible post in alot of knee jerk reactions!

Quotes like this really worry me! My dogs are muzzled when out they've not eaten a child or dog yet - I also dont want them put down because some muppet thinks they've lost their submissivness.

If a dog requires a muzzle it should be licensed and kept away from other dogs and children. Better still if it has lost submissiveness PUT IT DOWN.

The amount of comments on there about it will be a child next =

Dogs which attack other dogs are obviously dangerous and should not be allowed to be kept as a pet and must deffentlly not be allowed out in public !! It could be a child who gets attack next by the dog !!
marthamcginn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Have just signed the petitiion well done.
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
Please sign this petition. This King Charles was killed in our area by to Lurches who were muzzled but managed to get them off.

Click on the link below & search Carla Riches

www.change.org

Thank you Yvonne.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm reluctant to sign this. It doesn't specify anything. It just states: To make dog on dog attacks an offence.
While I'm all for regulations to ensure safety for all dogs and humans, I think there need to be some more specification as to what kind of attack, bite, circumstance etc.
This is a very general statement that could potentially harm responsible dog owners and their dogs.

As an example: I've got a dog who is reactive when dogs approach head on and in a rude way. She's very clear with her signs, but if the other dog is lacking politeness, she will lash out. When there's other dogs around I keep her on a long lead.
The other evning I was in the park and here was this guy with 2 dobermans. They were running all over the park, jumping up to dogs and trying to play with them, but not in a very polite way. It was also quite dark and they were wearing flashing light collars.
As soon as they entered the park I took my dog on the lead and walked away from them. I was on the other side of the field when they came running over, the owner far away. I tried walking away as quickly as possible but they were faster and jumped on Ella (to play, I'm sure, but she hates it). She turned around and went for the dog, I'm not sure which one but one of them screamed (they were fine in the end).
All this time I was shouting to the owner to call his dogs back, which he did but they didn't listen.
So, if my dog had seriously injured or even killed the other dog, what would have happened? Would I have been procecuted? My dog put down? I didn't do anything wrong, I can't account for other people's actions when they themselves endanger their dogs by letting them run crazy all over the field, EVEN though they're friendly and mine isn't.

Of course, in the case of two dogs known to be aggressive running loose and viciously attacking an innocent dog their owner should be punished. But I think there need to be more details in the petition as to what exactly they are asking for.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 05:08 PM
THE REASON FOR THIS PETITION.

Carla Riches wants to make owns responsible for their dogs actions.

These 2 dogs managed to get their muzzle's off. They were the kind the vets use. Also these 2 dogs have killed before.

I am interested in making owns responsible as I had 2 of my dogs attacked by 1 dog who later went on to kill a dog. And if a lady had not come to our rescue this dog would have killed mine.

We & our dogs should all be safe while enjoying walking our dogs.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 06:10 PM
I agree with that, totally. But when it comes to changing the law and outlining petitions, it needs to be a more detailed approach than 'making owners responsible for their dog's actions', because that could literally mean anything. To me, if my dog had hurt those two other dogs, their owner would have been at fault because he let them jump onto my dog, not me or my dog, even though she's got a history of being reactive.
Would that be supported by the petition?
This petition seems to be tailored towards one case where two dogs killed another dog. There are a million and one different scenarios that can happen when it comes to dog-dog accidents/kills and they all need to be accounted for fairly, that's all I was saying.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I agree with that, totally. But when it comes to changing the law and outlining petitions, it needs to be a more detailed approach than 'making owners responsible for their dog's actions', because that could literally mean anything. To me, if my dog had hurt those two other dogs, their owner would have been at fault because he let them jump onto my dog, not me or my dog, even though she's got a history of being reactive.
Would that be supported by the petition?
This petition seems to be tailored towards one case where two dogs killed another dog. There are a million and one different scenarios that can happen when it comes to dog-dog accidents/kills and they all need to be accounted for fairly, that's all I was saying.
Exactly.

OP, what are we signing the petition for? Under what "rules" would someone be prosecuted for a dog attack? Everyone seems to have a different idea as to what an attack actually is, so the rule would vary from person to person surely depending on how they saw it. For me to be able to sign this It needs to be clear under what circumstances the "offence" is to be.

As one of the above posters pointed out above too, it concerns me greatly that people willing to put their name to something so potentially influential, could not tell the difference between dog aggression and human aggression. A dog attack does not make it anymore likely to attack a child. That's just scare mongering.

I absolutely agree that REAL dog attacks, as the one you are describing, do need to have some repercussions on the owner, but without clear indications as to what I'm signing for I won't be adding my name.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Shouldn't this type of thing already be covered by this:

Overview
It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control:

in a public place
in a private place where the dog isn’t allowed to be (eg a neighbour’s house or garden without permission)
The law applies to all dogs.

Out of control
Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them
A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

it injures someone’s animal
the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal
My thoughts are that all dogs should be kept under control. If that means keeping them leashed and muzzled so be it. But they should also be under the control of someone strong and able enough to control them.

If ALL dogs WERE kept under control of course no dogs could injure or kill other dogs, or people.
Welshie
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Done & signed
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >