Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Low protein/low fat small kibbles or treats

Inca (nearly 13yrs) has been having churning tummy and being sick in early hours... only ever once (per night) though and yellow bile.

She's had no diarrhea at all so doesn't fit the IBS which usually constant diarrhea? .. and this issue only ever seems to appear in winter.. she's gone all summer eating alsorts and being fine! .. but had it last winter too intermittently.

Only thing me and vet can think is the week of fireworks has caused stress and maybe an attack of mild pancreatitis or something?

She's since been on rice with chicken (fresh cooked) or fish for her main meal with some saved back for 'supper' at around 10.30pm. This has helped her tummy stop churning and she's slept through all night for the last few nights without been sick or having a constantly churning tummy.

now she's got her appetite back she's wanting to do her puzzles (wooden nina ottosson ones) her kibble was F4D small bite weight control.. only 7% fat but 22% protein.. will this be ok for a small amount as its not her only food and she's not eating the full amount for her weight? (still gonna be having fresh home cooked for her main meal)

I got some samples from Burns but again she preferred the small bite which was 21% protein and 11% fat whereas the regular size was 18.5% protein and 7.5% fat.

I've tried her on a smaller JWB kibble too but she wasn't interested in eating that dry and didn't like the plain Burns mixer either.

Is there a small bite kibble for toy/small elderly dogs thats lower in protein and fat? .. surely small breeds get old and get IBS etc too so need lower protein/fat than they normally would find in food for small breeds?

It needs to be around or lower than 18% protein, 7% fat, small or easy to break/cut down to size.

Thanks

Kati
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I have no experience with these so have no idea on size or what the dogs make of them (sorry ) but I've found these for you;

Luath's Holistic Nutrition - Brown Rice & Chicken (Protein 18.5%; Fat 7.5%)

Autarky Mature Lite (Protein 17%)

Vitalin Senior Lite (Protein 19%, Fat 7.5%)
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
I have no experience with these so have no idea on size or what the dogs make of them (sorry ) but I've found these for you;

Luath's Holistic Nutrition - Brown Rice & Chicken (Protein 18.5%; Fat 7.5%)

Autarky Mature Lite (Protein 17%)

Vitalin Senior Lite (Protein 19%, Fat 7.5%)

Thanks... I wonder if Maize is as bad as people say? The Autuarky one seems lowest. Grains do seem to help settle her tummy she hasn't had the constant churning for last few days and nights

Shame there isn't a site anywhere shows the various kibble sizes? Everytime I look at small breed foods even for seniors they seem much higher in proteins/fats.

Might have to look at other treats that maybe soft and easy to break up and low in fat/protein.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I stopped giving my dog treats and used her regular kibble in an empty plastic bottle for amusement she loves that. I thought the treats were making her fat. And she wanted them in addition to her food and I didn't ant to replace her kibble with treats.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I stopped giving my dog treats and used her regular kibble in an empty plastic bottle for amusement she loves that. I thought the treats were making her fat. And she wanted them in addition to her food and I didn't ant to replace her kibble with treats.
Inca's not interested in playing unless food is involved. I had been using kibble as she likes the Nina Ottosson puzzles and has most of the collection.

the vet felt protein was too high so looking for small kibble with lower protein. We got a Burns sample but the regular kibble didn't fit in her favourite one and the small bite version was over 20% protein and 10% fat maximum
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Have you tried wet food? It's often lower in protein and actually generally better for elderly dogs when they are deteriorating. The moisture in it can with liver and kidney function as well.

I know you say it's IBS your dog has but at 13 she may have some renal deterioraton too, so might be something to consider.

Roxy likes a bitch of crunch so I add the Burns mixer to the wet food (along with a phosphate binder due to her insufficient kidneys).
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Have you tried wet food? It's often lower in protein and actually generally better for elderly dogs when they are deteriorating. The moisture in it can with liver and kidney function as well.

I know you say it's IBS your dog has but at 13 she may have some renal deterioraton too, so might be something to consider.

Roxy likes a bitch of crunch so I add the Burns mixer to the wet food (along with a phosphate binder due to her insufficient kidneys).

we have wet food she's got the naturediet senior lite but I was told wet food works out higher when you compare it properly to dry as there's some kind of formula to work it out depending on the moisture content or something?

As I'd read about someone who had used hills wet food to make baked biscuits by cutting up the wet food and baking it in the oven, so wondered if could do the same with the Naturediet and make a batch of small bite low fat treats?

Burns Kelties sound nice too ..rice, chicken and fish and look low in protein and fat, not sure how big they are or how easy to break up etc.

We did get a sample of Burns mixer (& original chicken & rice) and she showed no interest in it at all instead choosing the small bite chicken & rice kibble. She did eat some regular size kibble but it doesn't cut in half easily to fit in her favourite toys it just crumbles.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I had a dog who started vomiting yellow bile every morning. Turned out it was his anal glands. The vet had never heard of that symptom but I'd read it somewhere and asked her to check them. She was surprised to find they were very full, and once emptied he stopped the vomiting. Worth checking anyway, in case it's something simple like that.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
Inca's not interested in playing unless food is involved. I had been using kibble as she likes the Nina Ottosson puzzles and has most of the collection.

the vet felt protein was too high so looking for small kibble with lower protein. We got a Burns sample but the regular kibble didn't fit in her favourite one and the small bite version was over 20% protein and 10% fat maximum
Interesting these Nina Ottosson puzzles - think I will get some of these for Bella. Her interest in her Kong waned quickly and she enjoys wrestling with plastic water bottles to get the kibble out but I reckon she will love some of these puzzles.

Katilee - does your dog have any favourite puzzles - there are quite a lot to choose from! Don't mind buying a few.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Interesting these Nina Ottosson puzzles - think I will get some of these for Bella. Her interest in her Kong waned quickly and she enjoys wrestling with plastic water bottles to get the kibble out but I reckon she will love some of these puzzles.

Katilee - does your dog have any favourite puzzles - there are quite a lot to choose from! Don't mind buying a few.
If your dogs never had a puzzle before I'd start with something easy like the Dog Brick, it can be made harder by putting pieces in the middle to block the sliding parts. The Dog Domino one looks good too we never got around to getting that one.

I tend to go for ones that can be done more than one way now. Mine still find Dog Trubble one challenging where you push a piece around a maze, it can be made even harder by placing it vertically so they have to work pieces up from the bottom.

These days I just look for toys that dispense more randomly. Inca likes the Dog Turnaround which is 3 tubes on a stand, can make it harder by making treat pieces longer (cut pedigree rodeos longer or something). I've got her the newer windmill one for xmas which is 4 tubes and moves like a windmill blade.

http://www.traininglines.co.uk/windm...ivity-toy.html

can also buy Turnaround at Training Lines just type 'Turnaround' into search.

Inca hasn't been sick in early mornings for nearly a week now. Having a bit of wet for late supper seems to help and grains in her main meal.

I looked at RC thats same protein and fat as F4D weight control and the Hills one is slightly higher.

I've got a sample of Lauths Chicken & Brown Rice coming to try so see if she likes that any more (or less) than Burns. I'd rather have something without wheat in even if it has other grains as she seems to sound 'chesty' after a few days on chappie which contains wheat as she's been grain free for a year...though it has settled her tummy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >