Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2008, 10:01 AM

Amber's first season

At ten months old, she's begun her first season. However, my last bitch was fairly clean and the only sign of season was a slight swelling of the vulva. My bed looks like someone has been murdered on it
Because we've always allowed her on the sofa to sit with us, and she gets in the bed with me for a cuddle in the morning, I don't want to confuse her by suddenly restricting her to the floor and her own bed (which is also a bit of a bloodbath at the moment). I've tried putting old sheets and throws down, but the stain is seeping through. She's also dripping as she walks. Fortunately, my living room is laminated and the kitchen is lino, but the rest of the house is carpet and the carpet is.... beige (no, it wasn't me who chose beige! )

My vet suggested that we wait until after her first season before she went in for spaying, so that's our plan but what can I do for the timebeing to protect my home? Or is it just a case of following her around with a carpet and soft furnishing stain remover?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I've never had the need to use them, but I think you can get a type of nappy for dogs (or am I dreaming that)?.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I've also read of pants for dogs in season, I've never had to use them but I should think these with the sheets would be best. For my bed where my bitch slept on it I bought one of those sheets they use for incontinent people & put it on top of the bed with a sheet over it. Didn't need to do more as she kept very clean in the day,so it was only when she slept I had problems.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Before my gal was spayed she wore a doggie nappy when she was in heat. LOL Here they sell them in the pet stores, different sizes and a hole for the tail (or in Tysa's case her nubbin) to go though. They had velcro sides and were washable, they also came with liners that you replace so you don't have to wash the actual nappy (which is a cloth/denim type material).

Tysa bled a lot too, and she'd drip and leave marks if she wasn't in her nappy. I didn't make her wear it all the time, but when it was off she was contained to the "laminate only" areas of the house. She didn't particularly like the nappy on, at least at first, but she got used to it.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Will send OH round to the pet shop to look for some nappies.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 10:46 AM
You can get them from PAH or ebay does them, good luck hun, my molly looks like a murder scene when she is in heat.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 03:20 PM
i used them with bitches just remeber to take off so she can go toilet as they cant when wearing them, you put tissue or cloth on the inside so you can throw away as and when but saved the alot of washing of bedding and floor as was renting and wrong colour carpet. P@H is wear i got mine from.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I would just throw some old throws over the bed, sofa for the time being, hope its over soon,
Holly is in season at the moment too,,arrrgghhhh Im lucky shes really clean, I have had the odd spot on the bed but nothing major,,
I keep a few old throw overs for such times lol x
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I used some knickers on my last bitch with a hole cut for her tail. You can then stick sanitary towels in them to absorb the blood like you would for us ladies. Don't leave them unsupervised though just in case they decide to chew their new lingerie.

Heidi
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 09:33 PM
pair of knickers!!

we used a pair(well several!) of my old knickers on sam