Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
When I was a kid, we had two pekinese. Their difficulty breathing always distressed me, and I could never understand why such a dog would be bred to extremes where it's difficult to breathe. I still can't, TBH. I think it's a similar situation with Shar Pei's who, although brilliant dogs, are prone to skin problems.

As for crossbreeds (mongrels, let's face it) I am of the opinion (and it's MY opinion) that they tend to be healthier than purebred dogs.

I have Shibas, and love them to bits, but I have had three die at 9 years old. The breed should go to around 15, and I know of one who's 17 years old.

I had a lab cross, brought home from Battersea Dogs Home who was around for 17 glorious years.
Shar Pei round here hun....think it's black, very hard to tell, there is no fur on it's body, and the skin is like hide......it's always at the vets....sorry sorry state. Bless
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
and do you think they would have to tweak the breed standard to do this? change the eyes slightly ? breathing mechanisms etc?
Need to go and look at the standard now
Will get back to you
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Shar Pei round here hun....think it's black, very hard to tell, there is no fur on it's body, and the skin is like hide......it's always at the vets....sorry sorry state. Bless
My shiba breeder has a shar pei - it's fab - such a friendly dog and loves attention. I've only met it twice, but was shocked that it was a bit smelly. Of course, this could have been anything, but considering the breeders other dogs were all fine, I suspected some kind of skin problem. I wonder if Jules has problems of this nature with Ruby and Deisel?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:57 PM
and do you think they would have to tweak the breed standard to do this? change the eyes slightly ? breathing mechanisms etc?
Now I don't pretend to know the breed standard for the Pug, but surely Tweaking the standard to enable a more healther dog should be acceptable.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
My shiba breeder has a shar pei - it's fab - such a friendly dog and loves attention. I've only met it twice, but was shocked that it was a bit smelly. Of course, this could have been anything, but considering the breeders other dogs were all fine, I suspected some kind of skin problem.

I seem to remember something about SharPei people tweaking" the SharPei standard fairly recently to encourage dogs with less loose skin and, consequently less infections in the deep skin folds. Maybe someone with Shar pei would have more details.

Mick
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 07:14 AM
yeah theres an article in one of this months dogs magazines as well - damn why cant i remember the name of any magazines!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 08:25 AM
In a monthly dog magazine Bruce Fogle sees a positive slant on the combining of two pedigree breeds - any views?

This is the vet who also believes that Labradors x Standard Poodles produces healthier dogs-overlooking the fact that Labs & Standard Poodles have the highest incidence of epilepsy for pedigree dogs, they both have PRA/severe HD in their genetic make up & also Std Poodles have SA & Labs Narcolepsy as genetic conditions

Pugs have been around for a long time & haven't changed much over the last 100 years or so(if anything they had even flatter faces in Victorian times) Beagles are the same-however it was found when someone had two litter mates Hip Scored that they can have severe HD. So what is acheived by breeding these crossbreeds ? Well it could be all good of course provided that the parents are perfectly healthy on the otherhand they could inherit severe HD & the Beagles hunting instincts & Pugs skin fold problems !! making them not such a good cross

The problem is with "designer"dog breeders that they do not on the whole bother with health testing quoting hybrid vigour ! but hybrid vigour in domesticated animals doesn't really exist(for example mules may be hardier than horses & donkeys but are infertile so cannot be developed as a separate species)

The pug x beagle is touted as the idea "apartment"dog !!!!! indicating they do not need to have outside access, except on the lead, in cities-not something I would want to condemn my dogs to

It's an urban myth that mongrels are healthier than pedigree dogs-it's based on Insurance claims & as more Pedigree dogs are insured than mongrels naturally there are more vet claims for pedigree dogs. Real mongrels(produced by "street"dogs)rarely have good temperaments because the most aggressive "stud"will mate the bitches & the resultant puppies become more aggressive with each generation.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
This is the vet who also believes that Labradors x Standard Poodles produces healthier dogs-overlooking the fact that Labs & Standard Poodles have the highest incidence of epilepsy for pedigree dogs, they both have PRA/severe HD in their genetic make up & also Std Poodles have SA & Labs Narcolepsy as genetic conditions

so out of interest do labradoodles have even higher recorded incidences of epilepsy?

Pugs have been around for a long time & haven't changed much over the last 100 years or so(if anything they had even flatter faces in Victorian times)

really? he provided a picture to back up what he had found in the archives while researching his book and ive just google'd images of victorian pugs and they havent got flatter faces, have you the images youre looking at?

Beagles are the same-however it was found when someone had two litter mates Hip Scored that they can have severe HD. So what is acheived by breeding these crossbreeds ? Well it could be all good of course provided that the parents are perfectly healthy on the otherhand they could inherit severe HD & the Beagles hunting instincts & Pugs skin fold problems !! making them not such a good cross

but no worse a one?

The problem is with "designer"dog breeders that they do not on the whole bother with health testing quoting hybrid vigour ! but hybrid vigour in domesticated animals doesn't really exist(for example mules may be hardier than horses & donkeys but are infertile so cannot be developed as a separate species)

so what does a pug bring to the table that this 'designer breed' doesnt...what function does a pug perform and if it doesnt perform one specific to its breed then why cant someone have one that does look as squashed up and could outlive a pug by a few more years? , isnt a pug just a designer breed that has had a stamp of approval and arent half of them bought themselves as designer acessories ?

The pug x beagle is touted as the idea "apartment"dog !!!!! indicating they do not need to have outside access, except on the lead, in cities-not something I would want to condemn my dogs to

where is it touted like this? - i agree thats a bad pitch because the beagle is a small dog that apprecaites a lot of exercise

It's an urban myth that mongrels are healthier than pedigree dogs-it's based on Insurance claims & as more Pedigree dogs are insured than mongrels naturally there are more vet claims for pedigree dogs.

so why would a vet advocate a mongrels health over a pedigree dogs health - that would be bad for business and all i get told is how the vets are just in it for the money by pushing dry foods?

Real mongrels(produced by "street"dogs)rarely have good temperaments because the most aggressive "stud"will mate the bitches & the resultant puppies become more aggressive with each generation.
but you know we are talking about mongrels as in cross breeds - do you really think the vet is talkig about feral dogs

really?

do you??

sorry bad editing but my replies to joedeeuk are in bettwen her ones - except for the one at the end ...
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Can only speak from experience have had pedigree dogs & crossbreeds who have died young, Have had pedigree dogs who have lived till beyond the breed average. Have known cross breeds who have lived long lives so think longevityis more in the genes of the dog whether cross or pedigree. One advantage of a pedigree dog though is that you can track its ancestry & see if there were problems in previous generations. No chance of this with a non registered dog whether single breed or mixed.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:05 PM
but you know we are talking about mongrels as in cross breeds - do you really think the vet is talkig about feral dogs

really?

do you??

sorry bad editing but my replies to joedeeuk are in bettwen her ones - except for the one at the end ...
1-They do at our vets & don't forget some vets keep records by breed so these designer X's are simply recorded as X breeds
2-Paintings of Queen Victoria's Pugs from her first one in the mid 19th C to the later ones in her life-their faces were bred flatter & flatter to give a more baby(as in human) look-they were X'd with King Charles Spaniels to make them look baby like as well. Look at the King Charles Spaniels from the 17th C they had longer noses & were actively used in hunting Woodcock
3-puggle at our vets with cr*p hips, skin & breathing problems that did a runner if let off lead anywhere & not 9 months old
4.Pugs are an Asian companion dog that has been in Europe for over 400 years, beagles are a 14th century European scent hound. Both quite high energy breeds
5."A Puggle is one of the most popular designer dogs. .......................... Despite being highly energetic, a Puggle is also a great lap dog. They do well in apartments despite being lively and slightly hyper." from one of the major "puggle" breeders websites in the USA
6. Why does this vet promote mongrels over pedigree dogs ??? haven't a clue, but perhaps it could earn him money in the long run.
7.I was merely pointing out that the so called"hybrid"vigour allegedly in "real"mongrels is nothing to do with hybrid vigour, but survival of the fitness(ie the male who mates the most bitches) & an aggressive male will drive off less nasty rivals ensuring his genes are passed on
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >