Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I agree Nicci. He kept going on about how he wasnt a coward - well for me anyone that takes their own life is a coward - Its an easy way out, he should have lived with what he done for the rest of his life.
Police did great, in the dark in such horrid weather, they held it together well.
I sat up till 4 watching it on sky news These types of stories always grip me - but such a sad ending for all.
I don't agree with the emboldened statement at all. I think it actually takes a fair bit of bravery to stick a gun to your head and pull the trigger Not a nice way to die if you don't die instantly Nobody knows as yet what sort of state he was in, or indeed we will never know his reasons for taking his own life or his state of mind.

I will just reiterate though that I have no sympathy for the man himself - for his family, yes, but not for himself.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh perleeeease don't make excuses for the man! He held a bladdy gun up to his throat for however many hours, causing a lot of havoc all around, especially for those poor armed police Would you hold a gun up to your throat if you had no intention of using it??? I doubt it! He had AMPLE, AMPLE, opportunity of putting the gun DOWN, that's what the armed police do, they shout at you, they tell you to put the gun down, everybody knows the consequences if you fail to do as they say, BUT, they went with the flow and waited until he did it himself. A stun gun does just that, it stuns you, there's no way he could have shot himself once that gun had been used by HIM. They wanted him alive for some strange reason, but I'm glad he's dead, he won't be able to get out of prison free in a few year's time and kill other innocent peops, sorted!
I do see what you are saying Helen, and I am also on the side of the innocent and the police. What I worry about is that IF it was found that the taser was used prior to Moat shooting himself, than that police officer will have to be suspended, and a full investigation will have to be performed into the reasons for the taser being used. If it was found that the policeman had no valid reason for using a taser at that point, then he could be in some serious trouble and could even lose his job over it. Absolutely ludicrous but it is true.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
The police did NOT know it was Huntley when Huntley was appearing on tv did they, so how can it be the same? Decency? OMG tell that to the family of the man he killed, tell that to the children, tell that to the family of the police officer!.
The fact that Huntley has guards shows how dangereous other prisioners are to him, which in turn costs the tax payers...you and me....thousands of pounds a day! Some privilidge...yeas cushy more like.
Can we stick to the subject please ladies, which isn't Ian Huntley.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Can we stick to the subject please ladies, which isn't Ian Huntley.

If you read back through the thread, I mentioned Huntley and the FACT he has the privilege of being LOCKED up. When Mr Moat had been wished DEAD - which is discusting.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I also think they did a great job where trying to convince him not to kill himself was concerned - I think it's important to remember they didn't want to shoot him, they wanted to bring him to justice - and rightly so.
But would justice have been done? I have my doubts.

He was clearly a disturbed individual, he needed help, not vilifying.

He deserved to be locked up for life, not dead.
Problem is "life" rarely means life in this country.

When his mother said he would be better off dead, I took her to mean that life would never be the same for him now and so he would be better off dead.
I think she was right and that the obvious outcome was always going to be that he would shoot himself.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
If you read back through the thread, I mentioned Huntley and the FACT he has the privilege of being LOCKED up. When Mr Moat had been wished DEAD - which is discusting.
Think about it, if being locked up meant for life as it should, what would you rather? Being locked up, having to watch your back 24/7 because other prisoners, thugs, bullies and murderers were watching you or quick sudden death.
Having said that I don't believe Moat, or many others were capable of reasoning this logically.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
But would justice have been done? I have my doubts.

Problem is "life" rarely means life in this country.

When his mother said he would be better off dead, I took her to mean that life would never be the same for him now and so he would be better off dead.
I think she was right and that the obvious outcome was always going to be that he would shoot himself.
Considering we have Charles Bronson locked up for the rest of his life when infact he's murdered no one I would think there is no way they would have allowed this man back into society, ever.

I'd have preferred to see him in court and let other people decide what his sentence should have been.

I've had a member of my family murdered (which was some years ago now, but still remember the effect it has and still has on their children and closer family), so know EXACTLY what the families involved are going through which will be sheer hell. My Uncles killers are out now, they were kids at the time, oldest one being 19 I think it was, the others were much younger - that said, I don't wish them dead and would have preferred that they were never released, instead we have them all walking round after only served just a few years for what they all did. But a totally different set of circumstances, that resulted in the death of a person who was a close member of my family, still I wouldn't and never would ever wish them dead, though I will say in the early days of what happened as a family we all did, we learned forgiveness was the biggest punishment they could ever recieve from us - they have to live with what they did for the rest of their lives and although we all still miss him, you gradually have to realise that life does have to go on, for those that took his life I know there has been regret, regret they have to live with what they did for the rest of their lives

There is no justice served at all in this set of sorry, sad circumstances, he can't be brought to justice because he's gone, so where is the justice in that? All it has done is left a whole lot of questions which will never be answered, no one will ever know the truth now, regarding what happened, what went on, or his side of the story.

I'm sure the officer who has been shot, didn't at any time wish him dead, I'm sure he would have much preferred to see him in court to let other people decide what to do with him.

Edited to add :-

IPCC confirm two officers discharged Tazers during the stand off with Mr Moat.............
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Considering we have Charles Bronson locked up for the rest of his life when infact he's murdered no one I would think there is no way they would have allowed this man back into society, ever.

I'd have preferred to see him in court and let other people decide what his sentence should have been.

I've had a member of my family murdered (which was some years ago now, but still remember the effect it has and still has on their children and closer family), so know EXACTLY what the families involved are going through which will be sheer hell. My Uncles killers are out now, they were kids at the time, oldest one being 19 I think it was, the others were much younger - that said, I don't wish them dead and would have preferred that they were never released, instead we have them all walking round after only served just a few years for what they all did. But a totally different set of circumstances, that resulted in the death of a person who was a close member of my family, still I wouldn't and never would ever wish them dead, though I will say in the early days of what happened as a family we all did, we learned forgiveness was the biggest punishment they could ever recieve from us - they have to live with what they did for the rest of their lives and although we all still miss him, you gradually have to realise that life does have to go on, for those that took his life I know there has been regret, regret they have to live with what they did for the rest of their lives

There is no justice served at all in this set of sorry, sad circumstances, he can't be brought to justice because he's gone, so where is the justice in that? All it has done is left a whole lot of questions which will never be answered, no one will ever know the truth now, regarding what happened, what went on, or his side of the story.

I'm sure the officer who has been shot, didn't at any time wish him dead, I'm sure he would have much preferred to see him in court to let other people decide what to do with him.

Edited to add :-

IPCC confirm two officers discharged Tazers during the stand off with Mr Moat.............
You have a far more forgiving nature than I have Nicci and I applaud you for that.
I am against capital punishment because there is so often doubt but in circumstances like this there is no doubt that the police had the right man.
The only ones who gain from meteing out punishment are the ones taking revenge, same as the hang man would have.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh lordy, I can see it all now Police investigation, why was the tazer gun fired before he shot himself, all the expense of finding out the if's/how's/when's blah, blah, blah, policeman gets suspended (as you said Kirsty) maybe even sacked, then the family can sue the police for what they did Jeeeeze, this wouldn't happen in America would it! Why is it that our hard working, constantly battered police force always get the blame in the end for just doing their job???!!!

The police aren't allowed to get "stressed" during a situation like last night lasting for 7 whole hours then??? Maybe he did fire the tazer coz his arm got tired, he might have seen Moat moving the gun, whatever the situation was why has it always got to be turned on its head and aimed right back at the police. I fail to see what they are supposed to do quite honestly, one minute they're being praised for making everybody feel safe, and the next

If I was that policeman they would be getting my badge back whether they wanted it or not, and I strongly suspect that could be the feelings of a lot more of them in this particular case too! I wonder how you're gonna feel about these drugged up crazed maniacs roaming about our streets when there are NO policeman left then, coz they've all got fed up with trying to do a good job with their hands tied behind their backs??? Will you still be on their side (the criminal!) I wonder?

I'm on the side of justice, and justice is no matter how sick/ill/mental this guy was he has completely ruined the life of an honest citizen in that policeman, his loving family, let alone the loving family of the poor dead boyfriend, and his ex-girlfriend, he had to be convicted, but I'm only glad he's gone, since I have no faith in our prison sentencing, life is not life anymore, he'd have been let out free to do it all over again, just like so, so many others have. The only family who didn't seem to care about their offspring is Moat's from what I'm gathering!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
The only family who didn't seem to care about their offspring is Moat's from what I'm gathering!
Moat had an uncle wanting to see him last night dispite plea's to the police, his offer was declined. Poor bloke was sat there waiting with his shoes on whilst all that was going on.

I'm not on anyones side, I find it all VERY sad, for everyone involved.
Page 10 of 23 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »