Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Bone pics

Still can't get my head round the fact I'm doing this lol, but here goes. The first pic is the fab meat I got from the butcher beside me today, and the second one is the bones that were included with it (only cost me a pound of bacon )

This pic is from yesterdays butcher. This also came with a HUGE bag of lungs. Now I need help with this as well as I'm not sure how much lung he can be given. Is it classed as offal or muscle meat?

The fork is there for size comparison lol.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd guess at a whole variety of lamb bones there - a few ribs, bit of spine, maybe a tail, shoulder blade? I'm just guessing though.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'd guess at a whole variety of lamb bones there - a few ribs, bit of spine, maybe a tail, shoulder blade? I'm just guessing though.
That is what I thought, going by the last photograph. A nice amount of meat on those bones as well!

The first one is a mix of innards that I do not recognise. I know and can recognise the innards of poultry, and of humans come to that [memories of Gross Anatomy flit through my mind and are quickly banished] but not those.

Definitely no heart, kidneys or liver, but it has all been washed and is nice and clean so I would just chop it all into chunks and feed a mixture.

The middle picture? I am not sure whether or not a split bone such as the one shown at the bottom is OK to give a dog - I would worry that it could easily splinter as it appears to have been sawn in half lengthways.

[The whole lot would have been a bargain at half the price!!]
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 01:40 PM
I thought it may be lamb Thanks for the help. Wondering what to do with the split bones now though.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Not sure what you're seeing in that bone Malka. To me it looks exactly like some of the ones I used to get from my butcher in Ireland. 2 fairly narrow bones joined by a chunk of something (cartalidge maybe?). They weren't cut lengthways, the edges were too natural looking for that. No idea what they were but Rupert had no problems with them and ate them at least once a week.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I think all those bones look fine to feed a pup
bones in middle pic defo look cut though (you can see exposed marrow) Still look enough for a pup to munch on
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Not sure what you're seeing in that bone Malka. To me it looks exactly like some of the ones I used to get from my butcher in Ireland. 2 fairly narrow bones joined by a chunk of something (cartalidge maybe?). They weren't cut lengthways, the edges were too natural looking for that. No idea what they were but Rupert had no problems with them and ate them at least once a week.
I have enlarged those pictures as much as I can without blurring, [I have a 19" square monitor and each small section filled the screen when enlarged] plus checked with a good magnifying glass and to me, in the middle picture three, possibly four, bones definitely look as if they have been sawn lengthways.

The bones are the ones at top left, centre right [and possibly the one below it] and the long bone at the bottom.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Well whether they were cut or not I gave Rupert ones that looked exactly like the bottom one in the middle picture and he never had any issues.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 07:09 PM
They look like lamb bones to me, and look exactly like the ones I get from the butcher
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
They look like lamb bones to me, and look exactly like the ones I get from the butcher
I am jealous - and glad Pereg cannot see the pictures as I cannot get any for her!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >