Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Add another hand to that.....
and another

generally spending an hour watching 'corry' or East Enders is considered a waste of time by me Cant remember the last time I watched either. Very much a 'if its on' thing...
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Merlin, Holby City, Casualty, Miranda, Outnumbered are the ones we tend to watch the most often. Other than that occasionally Countryfile or nature programmes.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2011, 01:31 PM
TV license; a waste of money?
It is worth every penny to me not forgetting this also covers the radio.
My radio is on for practically 24 hours a day. I turn it on the moment I wake up Radio 4 mostly and sometimes need it on when I go to sleep (if my Tinnitus is bad it drowns out the humming noise ) .

I live alone and rarely go out these days, my radio is my companion, my eye on the outside world and my entertainment .
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 01:50 PM
We don't really have a choice if we want tv at all, even if you don't watch bbc!

Do you need a license Mini for just a radio? I had this conversation with my work colleague who has b/w tv at the moment and doesn't think it will go digital! My colleague doesn't seem to think that you need one for radio alone but I thought you did.

I must admit I find it relaxing when I'm caravanning with just the radio for company (apart from the dogs of course).
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Partypooch, thats what I mean about intimidation and bully tactics to get people to pay a license. They can fine just for having a PC at home as you can watch TV on it BUT as you say, its supposed to be a fee to cover live tv viewing and BBC......
to use a pc as a tv, you have to add a pc-tv dongle so that you can recieve transmissions as they are broadcast. they can't fine you if you don't use one. they might be persistent and may even decide they want to home check you to make sure you're complying, but we've never had more than half a dozen visits and never a home check, and now they've all stopped. it is bullying and intimidation tactics, it's very clear when you read the licensing requirements that unless you are viewing at the time of broadcase, the license is unnecessary.

viva la revolution, i say.

i did have a very confused lad trying to sell me a sky package on the doorstepa few weeks ago (he was only about 20 or so), he was astounded when i said we had no telly and asked '... but how do you keep yourself amused?'
i said 'mate, i've got 2 dogs, 4 cats, a whole rooom of tropical fish, i'm self employed and have a partner that's not disimilar to the average teenager in the amount of washing and general untidyness he produces... i don't really get time for telly!'
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
We don't really have a choice if we want tv at all, even if you don't watch bbc!

Do you need a license Mini for just a radio? I had this conversation with my work colleague who has b/w tv at the moment and doesn't think it will go digital! My colleague doesn't seem to think that you need one for radio alone but I thought you did.

I must admit I find it relaxing when I'm caravanning with just the radio for company (apart from the dogs of course).
I'm not sure you do need one just for radio, least I certainly would not have thought so. Certainly I don't think people should be paying £150 a year for a radio station (which I think may still advertise?)
Originally Posted by partypooch View Post
to use a pc as a tv, you have to add a pc-tv dongle so that you can recieve transmissions as they are broadcast. they can't fine you if you don't use one. they might be persistent and may even decide they want to home check you to make sure you're complying, but we've never had more than half a dozen visits and never a home check, and now they've all stopped. it is bullying and intimidation tactics, it's very clear when you read the licensing requirements that unless you are viewing at the time of broadcase, the license is unnecessary.
this is something I will look into for next year
viva la revolution, i say.

i did have a very confused lad trying to sell me a sky package on the doorstepa few weeks ago (he was only about 20 or so), he was astounded when i said we had no telly and asked '... but how do you keep yourself amused?'
i said 'mate, i've got 2 dogs, 4 cats, a whole rooom of tropical fish, i'm self employed and have a partner that's not disimilar to the average teenager in the amount of washing and general untidyness he produces... i don't really get time for telly!'
People do look at me a bit odd sometimes. Like when they are talking about someone as if they know them, and I should know them and I say "who's that then?" 'y'know, off the telly!!" I'll then say I hardly watch it and they look at me like I'm really odd

I see telly as an extra thing, not something I need

Does anyone else think its a little sad that for so many their life revolves around telly or their evening arranged around it, toddlers knowing names of tv characters but not some vegetables etc etc? or is it just me?

Dont get me wrong I'm not against TV at all. Just seems to be almost a TV epidemic going on
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2011, 03:16 PM
moetmum- yes, you need a license for a radio, because you are listening to the programmes asthey're broadcast, if you listen to the same program on your laptop on bbc iplayer 10 mins later, you don't.
Meg
Supervisor

10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post

Hi Gerry I do have a TV as well but don't use it nearly as much as the radio.

I remember the original radio licence which was abolished and became the combined TV and radio licence ,so as far as I am aware even if you do have just a radio a licence is required
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
You don't need a license to listen to the radio.....
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102/
Meg
Supervisor

10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by parsonsmum View Post
You don't need a license to listen to the radio.....
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102/
Sharon you are absolutely correct as of 1971 it seems..
see the bottom of the page..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/key...cencefee.shtml
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >