Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 06:49 PM

What Does Heart Testing Undertake?

Just had some sad news from my breeder, they've lost one of their bitches during a caesarian. Her heart gave out too many times and could not be resucitated. They now think there could be a problem in their lines re reaction to anaesthesia as there has been a problem in the past.

I'm still awaiting an email back with the full details of the problem, but am just running things through my head at the moment. I was thinking about getting Isla heart tested incase it's a heart problem, what is undertaken when heart testing? Is it just an ultrasound etc?

Can't help thinking how lucky I've been - I was going to get Isla's hips xrayed under anaesthetic this past week, but put it off for a fortnight when I'm off for 6 days!

RIP Rachel x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh that's really sad. Those poor pups. RIP Rachel.

I have no idea about heart testing, sorry, just wanted to say that I hope Isla is ok. It's maybe just as well you put the hip x-rays off.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I think that most heart screening involves an ECG and an echocardiogram which will highlight any congenital heart defects i.e aortic stenosis, mitral valve disease etc.
My little dog has a grade IV/V heart murmur and these were the tests we did for her.
Very sorry to hear about the bitch they lost, hope Isla's tests are all clear.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 10:16 PM
RIP Rachel x
jojoscorpio
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 08:47 AM
that is really sad, as for the heart testing if you breed then i thought it had to be done, what does your vet say? i would ask him for his advise, has he listened to your babies heart yet? they can normally hear a murmer if there is anything worrying you please ask your vet, you never know he could give you good news x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh that's really sad. Those poor pups. RIP Rachel.

I have no idea about heart testing, sorry, just wanted to say that I hope Isla is ok. It's maybe just as well you put the hip x-rays off.
Thanks hun.

Originally Posted by pinklizzy View Post
I think that most heart screening involves an ECG and an echocardiogram which will highlight any congenital heart defects i.e aortic stenosis, mitral valve disease etc.
My little dog has a grade IV/V heart murmur and these were the tests we did for her.
Very sorry to hear about the bitch they lost, hope Isla's tests are all clear.
Thanks for that, my little Terrier x had a grade IV heart murmur too and manage brilliantly most of his life thankfully.
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
RIP Rachel x
Thanks hun x
Originally Posted by jojoscorpio View Post
that is really sad, as for the heart testing if you breed then i thought it had to be done, what does your vet say? i would ask him for his advise, has he listened to your babies heart yet? they can normally hear a murmer if there is anything worrying you please ask your vet, you never know he could give you good news x
Thank you! Heart testing is only undertaken in breeds where it is a known problem, Springers not being one of those.

I've had another email from Isla's breeder and thankfully it isn't as bad as I'd thought. It's thought that this particular problem may have been due to the bitch having to travel a long distance to be mated. There have been a couple of instances in the past where a dog from this kennel has gone cold following an anaesthetic after an xray, so it's more about being careful with the drugs used than anything to do with the heart - thank god!!!

I will speak to my vets about this and hopefully all will be ok.

Thanks for the posts guys, your concern is much appreciated.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2008, 09:43 PM
There have been a couple of instances in the past where a dog from this kennel has gone cold following an anaesthetic after an xray, so it's more about being careful with the drugs used than anything to do with the heart - thank god!!!
Has this got anything to do with ACE being used to sedate the dogs before xrays or an op?

http://www.jlhweb.net/BOSS/ace.htm
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Has this got anything to do with ACE being used to sedate the dogs before xrays or an op?

http://www.jlhweb.net/BOSS/ace.htm
Ooh Carole thank you so much for that! It could be very useful, I'll email my breeder and let you know!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I know that our vet does not use it on any deep chested breed because of the side effects explained in the link but I'm not sure if springers are classed as deep chested
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I know that our vet does not use it on any deep chested breed because of the side effects explained in the link but I'm not sure if springers are classed as deep chested
Compared to Boxers probably not, but incomparison to many other breeds I suppose you could class Springers as deep chested! So it's a bit debatable!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >