View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Could Charlie (Lab) be coming in to season?

While I had Charlie out for a walk today we met another young lab of 9months and he seemed to be "very" interested in Charlie but his owner told me that he was neutered but still wanted to "hump" everything in sight.

A wee bit later on she was chased by a collie who then proceeded to try his luck also (thankfully he didn't manage)

Now Charlie is barely 6 months old and I thought she was a bit young given her size/breed. I have had a look and don't see any swelling or discharge but is this likely to be it?

I was hoping to get her neutered before her first season so am hoping this is a false alarm. The thought of having to keep her in for 3 weeks is not a happy one-there are millions of dogs around us.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 07:03 PM
It could be - have you dabbed her with kitchen towel to see if there is anything? Try and get vet appointment asap they will check and hopefully spay soon after if all is well
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:38 PM
hi my 6mth old lab bitch is showing signs t0 hun i have a full male as well so they have now been seperated dont want any miss haps just yet.

my little girl is notthat swollen on a little but she is cleaning her self more than normal, is your girl doing that as that is a sign as well.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:39 PM
You don't have to keep them in for 3 weeks just exercise on lead away from other dogs.
Becky
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:45 PM
i still walk sophie bu change my times to miss the other dogs as it was always busy.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:48 PM
It is possible I suppose, but a tad early I would agree. The problem is some males dogs are just plain randy 24/7 so it can be hard to gauge!

See what happens tomorrow on your walks and go from their would be my advice I think? That way you can get a better idea of whether it's your dog in season or males just being males!

I have to agree though, you don't need to keep your dog in for 3 weeks - Isla would go insane if I did that. I'm lucky in that I can choose my walks to avoid people and their dogs, but walking on lead whilst Charlie is in season is a good idea just incase.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:54 PM
hi hun i now its not jst my boy as i went over my mums and hd to leave in 10mins as her male was after her as well. ithink she must be getting close as she is a bit off colour not her self either. she is going to the vets on fri as she has got baby teeth that have to e removed as the adult ones have come through as well so wil get them to check as well for me. thanks for the advice hun
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2008, 12:41 AM
I can see myself doing a 5 am walk as even at 6 when I'm out there are other dogs!!

Just need to keep an eye I suppose thanks for the advice folks!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Our pup Liadan had her first season at 7 months. I wasn't expecting it at all but was told by a dog owner the previous week that his dog told him she was coming into season when they were both on lead at training class. Within a couple of days she came into season.