Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
briane
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Caring for a pregnant Bitch.

She is in her 50th day now I got her whelping box out on Sunday she go and rest in it in the day when should put her in at night?.Also when should I start taking her temperature day and night I have done breding so I know how to do this but it was 20 some years ago.She mated at 21 to 22 days in her season will this mean much longer or shorter duration of pregnancy is a Jack Russell.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 06:47 PM
The length of pregnancy is on average 63 days from the date of fertilisation. She will not have a shorter pregnancy because she was mated late in her season. Are you sure she is pregnant? Does she look it or has she been scanned?

If so,I would take her rectal temperature with a digital thermometer twice a day from day 60. You are looking for a temperature drop of quite a bit more that a degree.

I think you would enjoy reading 'The Book of the Bitch' It's a really valuable book, and it's easy to get hold of. It's about £10.00 from Amazon.

Dawn R.
briane
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2006, 07:07 PM
I have that book.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Day 21 & 22 is quite late in a season to mate them, did you have them pre-mate tested to see if she was ready then? I know not all dogs are the same but my girls would normally go to stud somewhere between days 9 - 13.

Are you certain she is pregnant? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question, but just because they've been mated doesn't necessarily mean that they will be pregnant.

Good luck!
briane
New Member!
Male 

14-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
Day 21 & 22 is quite late in a season to mate them, did you have them pre-mate tested to see if she was ready then? I know not all dogs are the same but my girls would normally go to stud somewhere between days 9 - 13.

Are you certain she is pregnant? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question, but just because they've been mated doesn't necessarily mean that they will be pregnant.

Good luck!
If you see me first thread it my help you know all of it so far, Bitch in season (can she become pregnant if mated on day 21?)
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 11:49 AM
i don't take temperature's i never found it very accurate plus the bitch may not like being messed about ..like it has been said its 63 days from the conception I have known many litters born from late matings ( and a few from as early as day 7 of the season )

hope all goes well
briane
New Member!
Male 

22-07-2006, 11:04 PM
SHE HAD 3 PUPIES ON HER 58 DAY FRIDAY 21st JULY 2006. 2 DOGS AND 1 BITCH ALL OK SHE SARTED ON THE 56 DAY. . .BRIANE.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Congratulations

Mo
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Congratulations

I was just going to add on here that if it was her first litter puppies can come earlier than the 63rd day