Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Male dog gets excited and upset with it

Hi All.

Just got my first male so please bear with me, he is 6 years old and not neutered.

He is very randy, sniffing my daughters crutch, when she gets down he mounts her etc. Now we've started to mange that as bad behaviour and are already seeing an improvement.

BUT I have noticed that he keeps getting erect for no apparant reason....then he sits up and seems unhappy with it. he tries to get it to go down, and waits, doing nothing, then when it does off he goes and he's ok.....

It is almost an involuntary excitement.

Am I completely mad and don't know what i'm talking about, is it normal, is it weird.......

I am going to have him neutered, but the vet seems to think it won't cam him totally due to his age and some of it being behavioural?

Also have to wait as I want his weight down before I get him done.

Help? Thanks
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I have seen dogs neutered and no difference and the other day a friend had a lhasa which was used for breeding and he was neutered and totally different a week after! If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.

So its a case of do it and see what happens. I'd do it as soon as the vet is happy to----you could ask for the anesthetic they use on rodents as it is better---more expensive though.

Await developments with interest.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 12:28 PM
You could use the Suprelorin implant which stops the production of testosterone for 6 months & in that time you will be able to see if his behaviour changes & get his weight down & if the behaviour changes than castration will also work so you can get him castrated towards the end of the 6 months.

It's what I would do in your situation
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Ok thanks very much, so do I just ask the vet for this implant? Are there any side effects of it?

Also, can you just confirm the involuntary erection is normal?

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
Just got my first male so please bear with me, he is 6 years old and not neutered.

He is very randy, sniffing my daughters crutch, when she gets down he mounts her etc. Now we've started to mange that as bad behaviour and are already seeing an improvement.

BUT I have noticed that he keeps getting erect for no apparant reason....then he sits up and seems unhappy with it. he tries to get it to go down, and waits, doing nothing, then when it does off he goes and he's ok.....

Thanks
Hi Dan just to confirm it is normal for some dogs to exhibit this behaviour and neutering may help, but there are no certainties.

Can I ask what you are doing to 'manage the behaviour'.

I know it is natural to react with embarrassment or even shrieks from children but that is rewarding the behaviour with attention and it is best not to reward unwanted behaviour with attention. When the above happens suggest your daughter gets up quickly with no word or eye contact and walks away.

You also say your dog is overweight, is he getting enough exercise and mental stimulation. A dog receiving regular walks and play is more likely to settle down and sleep than to get over excited at times.

For an overweight dog I would cut down on the food and give regular periods of exercise like a walk three times a day if possible and at least twice a day. Start with short walks of about 20mins then gradually increase the length of the walks.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Ok thanks very much, so do I just ask the vet for this implant? Are there any side effects of it?

Thanks
The only side affects of the implant is that the testicles shrink because the testosterone level drops

All male dogs have this happen at sometime in their lives. Not all dogs(as in males)hump, sniff etc
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi guys, well in answer to the behaviour first. Doing exactly what you suggest! We ignore him when he is sat there excited, usually licking it and making a right old snorting noise!!!!

The girls, when he sniffs them in the crotch or behind, just walk away from him and ignore him, if he follows and persists they go into there rooms or another room and shut the door on him. He hates that and cries....when he stops crying for a second, they come back out and so on.

If they are playing and he gets excited they immediately stop and walk away.

We are seeing an impact within 24 hours so he will learn no problem.

Regarding the weight, we got him last Sunday as a rescue over weight.......our other beagle was over weight when we got her rescue and she is now fine....

I already have him under the vets in their weight clinic, give him 2 to 3 good walks a day, play in the house, and he is sleeping for hours so is obviously worn out!!!!

Food is cut to the just below the normal amount and already showing signs on his collar after 5 days...

Thanks very much, going to look into the implant and will be getting him done one day anyway.

MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED just settles your mind when you are not sure......
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Dan I didn't realise you had only just got him, maybe the behaviour wasn't correctly handled by the previous owners.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things now though I hope thinks improve soon.
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks minihaha will just keep going and see.

As I say, the main thing was the involuntary erection, he really doesn't seem to like it doing it and I was concerned we had problems maybe....

Will keep you all posted to see if that implant is available and works.

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't accept your vet saying they know nothing about it, it has been available in the UK for three years this May & tell them to order it !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >