Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Rehoming dogs from abroad?

Has anyone ever done this?

I've just been looking on a website that helps to rehome dogs from Greece to the UK.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I`ve got a Greekie. A couple of friends of mine volunteer for GAR and bring dogs over. The dogs do their quarantine in Greece and go to homes in all over Europe.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Are there ever any problems with bringing the dogs over?

The site I have been looking at, a couple of the dogs have pet passports, but it says they can only rehome to some area in the UK?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I personally think we have enough dogs here needing homes, without bringing more in.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I had no problems bringing Stone over with his passport.

Maybe it was a bit different though as to what you are looking at - even though the rescue helped me sort out his travel and put him on the plane for me, he was my responsibility the minute he left the shelter as it was me that decided to bring him back here - otherwise he would have found a home in Cyprus.

So...not the same at all...how unhelpful - sorry!
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I personally think we have enough dogs here needing homes, without bringing more in.
I have to say, I kind of agree with you. I felt really guilty for ages - the money that I spent on the flight etc I could have adopted 10 dogs from the UK. I don't think I would do it again.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I know someone who got a Spinone from Greece. She thought the world of it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree with Dawn, it's a bit mad when we can't find homes for all the dogs currently in need in the uk why do we bring in more from abroad.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 07:56 AM
My drama teacher at school brought her dog over as a stray from Greece. She had been on holiday there and had seen the dog in a terrible state and knew she couldn't leave her there and, after a lot of complications, she brought her back.

I do agree with Dawn that there are so many unwanted dogs here already. Having said that, as sad a situation it is here for strays, at least they are treated humanely, which they aren't in Greece and some of the street dogs there are in an appaling condition. I have family in Greece, haven't been over in a long time but I find it such an upsetting situation to witness the state of some of the dogs there.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I feel the same about adopting dogs from abroad as I do about adopting kids from abroad. They are dogs, they need homes. Why shouldn't it be yours. They are kids. They need homes. Why shouldn't it be yours. But then again, I have a "one world, one people" way of thinking of things.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >