Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 03:06 PM

High Court gives go ahead to badger cull

Taken from :
http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/.../31434.article

THE High Court has given the green light to a badger cull in Wales as part of the Welsh Assembly Government’s plans to eradicate bovine TB (bTB).
Announcing the decision of a judicial review into the proposed cull, the High Court rejected claims form the Badger Trust that the cull had no scientific basis and was not a suitable way to eradicate the disease.
With backing from the High Court, a cull could now begin in the next few months with the trial due to take place in north Pembrokeshire, and a small part of Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire.
Reacting to the verdict, Wales’ rural affairs Minister Elin Jones said: “We welcome the Court’s decision. Bovine TB is one of the biggest problems facing cattle farmers across Wales, and we have to tackle all sources of the disease. We are dealing with an epidemic that has serious consequences for us all and we must stamp it out.
“Over the past three years, with advice from experts, we have put in place a comprehensive programme to eradicate TB across Wales. This includes more testing of cattle, identifying and getting rid of the disease in cattle at an earlier stage and improving on farm practices.
“We need to read and digest this verdict. In the meantime, we will continue with the preparations in the pilot area.”

However the Farmers’ Union of Wales said the victory was ‘not cause for celebration’.
FUW TB spokesman Brian Walters said instead: “It’s time for us to do all we can to stop all further suffering of cattle and wildlife affected by TB.
“Obviously, we are glad that the judge has ratified the considered views of the veterinary establishment and those scientific experts who have advised the Assembly’s rural affairs minister.
“Now that the legal system has backed the Assembly’s holistic approach to this issue we hope the preparations for the cull in the pilot area, together with more widespread cattle testing and further improvements to on-farm bio-security measures, will be allowed to proceed unhindered.”

The judicial review was launched following an application from the Badger Trust, which said there was no proof a cull would contribute to the eradication of TB.

Justice Lloyd Jones heard two days of submissions during the hearing in Swansea last month as anti-cull campaigners protested outside the courthouse.

Anyone have any views?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I have such mixed feelings on this.

I know that TB is devastating to the farmers and that they are convinced that a cull is the best way to go, but from what I've read, there are stlll really conflicting views.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I have such mixed feelings on this.

I know that TB is devastating to the farmers and that they are convinced that a cull is the best way to go, but from what I've read, there are stlll really conflicting views.
I feel the same as you really. I wish the evidence was definitive either way, but it just isn't
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Delighted to hear this, they need culling now in all areas. my friend has had to have one of her Jerseys shot because of this and is awaiting TB results on 30 others, never ever had any issues, but 3yrs ago a massive increase in Badgers saw them living on her land for the first time ever. They are now regularly seen day and night! No plans to test them for BTB though!! REALLY annoys me!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Delighted to hear this, they need culling now in all areas. my friend has had to have one of her Jerseys shot because of this and is awaiting TB results on 30 others, never ever had any issues, but 3yrs ago a massive increase in Badgers saw them living on her land for the first time ever. They are now regularly seen day and night! No plans to test them for BTB though!! REALLY annoys me!
Your poor friend must be devastated. It is heartbreaking for so many farmers who have had to have cattle destroyed and also totally nervewracking waiting to be tested.

The problem I have is that they don't know who is transferring the TB to who, and it could even be the cattle giving it to the badgers.

You are joking about not testing the badgers culled though, surely? If they aren't going to test for BTB, why the hell not???
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Your poor friend must be devastated. It is heartbreaking for so many farmers who have had to have cattle destroyed and also totally nervewracking waiting to be tested.

The problem I have is that they don't know who is transferring the TB to who, and it could even be the cattle giving it to the badgers.

You are joking about not testing the badgers culled though, surely? If they aren't going to test for BTB, why the hell not???
Lets state a campaign Moobli, if they are going to start a mindless slaughter on innocent animals (who are persecuted on a daily basis anyway) the least they can do is give them the dignity of being tested when slaughted. Wonder how they plan to carry out their cull, dig them out perhaps & let the dogs loose, but hey thats nothing new, that happens all the time all over the UK as it is, poison, hmm - how many other innocent creatures will suffer, traps........
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Nope no testing of the Badgers! She has been breeding Jerseys for over 30yrs, poor "Robin" was 11yrs old and born there, she was a pet, and was shot because of this, now they are awaiting the 60 days for the tests on the others. They are besides themselves.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 09:24 AM
They probably wont test those culled as it may well indicate that the problem is not as bad as is alleged and woe betide anyone proving that badgers may not be the issue!!
It is fact that once you eradicate a population of animals others will move in which actually results in TB being transfered around the country rather than having stable populations.
Bovine TB is also carried by other wild animals so why the badger has been singled out is beyond me.
One beef farmer I spoke to told me that Alpaca's are carriers as well and it would be interesting to see if the rise in TB coincides with the rise in Alpaca keeping!!
I just think people need reminding that this is BOVINE TB not BADGER TB. Therefore to solve the problem they should be looking at the source i.e. cattle!!
Becky
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Good post Moobli, totally agree.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
They probably wont test those culled as it may well indicate that the problem is not as bad as is alleged and woe betide anyone proving that badgers may not be the issue!!
It is fact that once you eradicate a population of animals others will move in which actually results in TB being transfered around the country rather than having stable populations.
Bovine TB is also carried by other wild animals so why the badger has been singled out is beyond me.
One beef farmer I spoke to told me that Alpaca's are carriers as well and it would be interesting to see if the rise in TB coincides with the rise in Alpaca keeping!!
I just think people need reminding that this is BOVINE TB not BADGER TB. Therefore to solve the problem they should be looking at the source i.e. cattle!!
Becky
Didnt you know that Badgers carry and transmit BOVINE TB?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/far...tb/badgers.htm

There are also NO Alpacas nor Deer on Jans farm either, nor TB until the Badgers arrived, says it all I think.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >