Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bretto
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2007, 01:50 AM

desexing, pros and cons

what do you think? i have a pup staffy and i dont wanna get him desexd as his coat is so shiney tan and a great build, and if i want him to find a girl to have a litter the option is always there. but my wife wants him to get desexd.????/ what do i do
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree with your wife get him done. there are already far to many Staffys in rescue homes without producing more. Also its not just a case of finding him a girl you must make sure he has all the relevent health tests and checks for the breed which can become quite costly and make sure the potential mum has too as you don't want inherent breed problems coming out in the pups. Your dog would also need to be a very good specimen of the breed as layed out by the Kennel club as would the bitch. You would also need to make sure you have enough good permanent homes before you breed and that you as a good responsible breeder are willing to take back any of the pups should during thier lifetime the new owners be unable to keep them. You will not make a penny in fact it could end up costing you if you do it properly.
Then there is the health implications of keeping your boy entire such as the risk of testicular cancer etc and remember the risk of him running off in search of an in season bitch (they can smell these up to 5 miles away), so he could be killed on a road in his search.
My advice is if you love your boy and want to spend many happy years together then get him done.
bretto
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2007, 08:10 AM
well thanks and i can see your totaly against it
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by bretto View Post
what do you think? i have a pup staffy and i dont wanna get him desexd as his coat is so shiney tan and a great build, and if i want him to find a girl to have a litter the option is always there. but my wife wants him to get desexd.????/ what do i do
If only it was this easy,
Your dog is only a pup and won't mature until he's between two/three years old.
Do you know if his parents were tested for L2/HC PHPV & PPSC
If not and he's not tested you would have to get these done before even contemplating putting a litter on the ground.
What has your dog got to offer the breed with regards to improving it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Well I have mixed feeling regarding neutering of male dogs, I have had both entire and neutered males living together without any issues. I don't think all males should necessarily be done.
However, How old is your dog? and how does he behave around other males?
Staffies do have wonderful glossy coats and that is not usually affected by neutering. I know a few staffs that have been done quite some time ago and their coats still gleam.
Are you sure this isn't just the man in you clutching your nuts with watering eyes and understandably sympathising with the dog . They really don't miss them you know

As for the breeding, well why? We all think our dogs are wonderful, and they are, but for me breeding is best left to those that are more informed on all the genetics, have all the health tests relevant to the breed carried out etc. It isn't quite as simple as it sounds either, the owner of the stud dog should be just as willing as the owner of the bitch to be responsible for any pups produced for the rest of those pups lives.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by bretto View Post
well thanks and i can see your totaly against it
The reason Madmare is giving you excellent sound advice, which is what you asked for after all is because she did used to ethically breed and Show [ Rough Collies and Shelties iirc ], so she really does have the voice of experience to give a totally balanced view on the breed standard elements, costs of breeding ethically, health testing, and has also in the past lost a dog to health issues from being entire [ I can`t remember if it was testicular cancer or prostate but I`m sure she`ll confirm which it was, my apologies for not remembering, Madmare, I know its a painful subject for you ].

The long term health reasons to neuter have no negatives, and on the responsible side separate from the health issues, neuter far outweighs the reasons to breed.

Yes, I am totally pro-neuter of all but the most exemplary and health-tested-to-the-hilt examples whatever the breed.

Its tragically absolutely true that Staffies are dreadfully over-bred, mostly by back yard breeders who breed for all the wrong reasons, the situation for the breed in general really is dire

Madmare was`nt being one sided with you, she really did not deserve such a curt response she gave you the benefit of her very experienced, balanced and absolutely fair view.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks Patch, I lost a dog to testicular cancer. He was a very dear and special pet, whom I adored. He was only young and I have never got over him properly. If only I had nuetered him as I do now any of my male dogs at 6 months of age he would have lived a long and very loved life. But I foolishly thought that he would be ok left entire.
I can honestly say of all the male dogs of various breeds I have had nuetered since him, it has NEVER changed thier temprement, coat, or anything else and it has never stunted thier growth or made them grow too much, but it has stopped them dying of testicular cancer.
bretto
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2007, 12:58 AM
all good , thanks
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Brett I would say research it somemore on the net etc talk to your vet and then make up your own mind.

Sorry to steal your thread brett, just wondering something

Patch what age would you advise getting a bitch spayed at and a dog neutered at? under a year? under 2 years?
Not being rude lol but could ya keep it short i.e. not post the reason for saying said age... as i already know all the pro's and con's of getting and not getting it done... Thanks
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2007, 06:37 AM
im not against breeding provided all the health tests are done HOWEVER there are more staffies in rescue than any onther breed, you only have to look through and there are pages of them so in all honesty if i would say please dont add to that list.
Its nice to hear you asking before just jumping in and doing it and im sure you will do what is right by the breed, well done.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >