View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alsatianpup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Spaying or Breeding? (vet suggests it is ok to breed a 12 month old bitch)

Yesterday I took Misha to the vets for a check up as she had a bladder infection last week and she was given the all clear which was good. But while there the vet asked if I was thinking of breeding Misha to advise if not then should get her speyed. Now Misha has only just turned 5 months and the Vet advised if you are not going to breed her then should get her speyed at 6 months but if I was to breed her let her have one season before I think about breeding her. Now I thought Misha was a bit young to get spayed at 6 months and really though breeding her at 1 year would have been too young but the vet said as she is well developed for her age she would be fine to breed. was wondering at what age people on here have had thier bitches speyed or at what age is generally best to breed them ?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 10:05 AM
one year old is far to young to have a litter .........from any breed IMOP

if you decide not to breed you don't have to have her speyed
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I agree with Inca, 12months old in ANY breed is too young. Okay they may have developed physically but mentally they would still be immature.

It is an individual choice as to whether you have her speyed or not if you are not gonna breed. It is a decision that needs much thought and you really need to weigh up the pros and cons
Alsatianpup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I really don't think I will go down the breeding road with Misha as I had no intention of breedin her but was just surprised that the vet told me she could breed at such a young age . As for the speying I was not aware there were any cons to this other than the surgery but was under the imression it is a relativley safe operation.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Our vet advised that we spay Cassie at 6 months before her first season which is what we did and she was absolutely fine afterwards. Think it depends on the vet. Some advise spaying later.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi Alsationpup IMO It is unethical to breed from a dog before it is physically mature and in the case of a GSD and most large breeds this will not be at the age of a year old, I would say two at the earliest . The other thing to ask yourself is why do you want to breed, this article by Dogwebber Shadowboxer may help you to decide if it is the right thing for you...

If you are not going to breed I think spaying is the best option and to me the benefits far outway any drawbacks, here is another article on spaying that may also help you

Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 10:55 AM
That article by shadowboxer is priceless - i have even shown people who are interested in breeding rats this article and said it works on the same principles - brilliantly written - important article.

xx
Alsatianpup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 11:14 AM
I never really had any intention to breed Misha but my mum said that she had heard it is better to let her have one litter. But from what I have read on this site and in other places that is not true. I had pretty much made my mind up before I posted not to breed her as I don't have the experiance or the want to breed her but was just after some opinions. As for speying I think I will get her speyed as the advantages seem to out weight the disadvantages to me. But I see 6 months as a bit young but I feel this is due to me still seeing her as a pup I can fit on my lap and not the big dog she is fast becoming
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Ally will be two years old Nov the 4th this year.
I still haven't decided if I want to breed from her. It will depends on how sheŽs doing this season as it isnt until now she has been ready to actually "perform" and show if sheŽll be a great gundog (season starts in September).

If she lives up to my expectations, I will most likely breed her atleast once to get a puppy I can keep and that hopefully will have the same good qualities I see in Ally.

But theres no way I can predict that till she has proven it is there? I have hopes and high expectations but cant know for sure. Besides, Ally wont mentally be grown til around three - or atleast her mum wasn't and the similarity is overwhelming..
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 11:25 AM
vets are really the last person to ask about breeding, i had ppl email me to use Leo and i told them that the bitch had to have her eyes tested and most ppl said my vet said her eyes are ok a quick look in the eye is not what i mente LOL
i do agree with him saying that unless you want to breed her then get her Spayed as it does make your life easier in the long run. i wouldn't tell you to get it done before she is 6 months i would say more like 12 months as some of the hormones help them to grow up,
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »