Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
yes if need be!!
dont you have neighbours snorri?? sorry but if i had a neighbour that couldnbt get out and snow was forcast id have made sure they would have had everything they needed even if i had to store it in my freezer. my sil livesin the orkneys on a farm and she helps her neighbours ans do they all her local shop is also the local pub!!!
we dont usually get snow but have done in the last year or so here so when its forcast i have plenty in and if my neighbour runs out then they get what i have (as long as my kids have got something as well).
Well said, I help my elderly neighbours too...............
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Well said, I help my elderly neighbours too...............
maybe you could move and be Snorri's neighbour and help him out
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:34 AM
lol.....rather than starve ............yes!
How exactly do you afford to buy the freezer on an extremely low income due to disability and where do you find room for it in a specially adapted flat?

Originally Posted by angied View Post
yes if need be!!
dont you have neighbours snorri?? sorry but if i had a neighbour that couldnbt get out and snow was forcast id have made sure they would have had everything they needed even if i had to store it in my freezer. my sil livesin the orkneys on a farm and she helps her neighbours ans do they all her local shop is also the local pub!!!
we dont usually get snow but have done in the last year or so here so when its forcast i have plenty in and if my neighbour runs out then they get what i have (as long as my kids have got something as well).
I too would help neighbours and we in fact did that recently making sure that the elderly had food prescriptions etc but not everyone is fortunate to have neighbours like you or I who will help. In rural areas yes the community spirit is much greater and true Orcadians or those with the community spirit do band together and help out those in need. Sadly in city areas(ok on Orkney town areas ) it is much like a lot of city areas here. Folk keep themselves to them selves and can often be quite selfish and a desire to look after only themselves. This has been demonstrated before when Snorri has needed help in the past noone around him offered to help and in the end the offer of help came from a kind Dogsey member as it has once again
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear of your predicament Snorri, it must be very hard for you.

I have neither the time nor inclination to read all through this thread but I am shocked at the lack of compassion from some shown to other disabled, less moblie or older than themselves.

I just hope certain members never find themselves in circumstances similar to Snorri's.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
maybe you could move and be Snorri's neighbour and help him out
If he lived near I would....................but then I would'nt be able to get to work.....
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

I have neither the time nor inclination to read all through this thread but I am shocked at the lack of compassion from some shown to other disabled, less moblie or older than themselves.

I just hope certain members never find themselves in circumstances similar to Snorri's.
agree with the above
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:38 AM
A chest freezer only costs £100.

And again I am sorry for Snooris plight, maybe he should think about moving to a more people friendly area.

Because this could be a prob for him every year.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

Absolutely. Very Well said

Originally Posted by Emma View Post
agree with the above
Here Here
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I too am shocked at the lack of compassion shown to others in this thread .
People who cleearly have absolutely no understanding of how some people have to live .
My Dad lived in a tiny persioners flat for the last couple of years of his life .
The bedroom was a sectined off from the livingroom by a curtain . There was room for a bed and a bedside table .
The livingroom was big enough for two chairs and a TV .
The bathroom was tiny .
The kitchen was equally tiny and had room enough for only the smallest size fridge .
There was no other space .
Where would someone living like that have put this handy big fridge freezer .
All the other people living there were pensioners too in various staged of disability .
So really unable to help each other .
My Dad had family to help him but not everyone does .
Sadly there are a lot of people living like that or worse .
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:44 AM
A chest freezer only costs £100.

And again I am sorry for Snooris plight, maybe he should think about moving to a more people friendly area.

Because this could be a prob for him every year.
I am sorry but so far you have said
- shop earlier
- move
- ask neighbours
- put a fridge in your bedroom
- they only cost 100 pounds

If only was moving was as easy as you make it sound, not all people can just up and move, and have reasons for not moving. I still believe they can have a gripe with the weather and other things that affect them negatively from nature or otherwise.
If only we all lived over the rainbow
Page 5 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »