View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 03:22 PM
With the whole punishment thing, it can get confusing for peeps because some will use it strictly in its scientific meaning (as in OC, -p,+p, -r and +r ) and others are just referring to the more everyday use of the term - as in, not hitting, yelling, etc.

So it can get confusing if people are discussing referring to positive training or trainers, but without clarification of what they refer to (not meaning you, Ben )..

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by 2manydogs View Post
Regarding "stubborn" .. I kinda see this as I do the term "dominant" outdated and an excuse for not finding a way that works.
Not met a stubborn dog but plenty of dogs who require a change of tack/approach ..
am always fascinated that dogs that find an activity challenging or uncomfortable or have not been taught with aclarity are labelled at fault or dominant or stubborn .....
Totally agree.
To me, positive training is about making it better / easier / more rewarding for the dog to do what you want. So rather than try to stop an unwanted behaviour, I find it simpler to teach an alternative.
So - rather than lunge at traffic wardens, Daisy gazes lovingly at me in response to the words `Watch me` and I protect us from the scary traffic wardens (or whatever).
I teach young people the same way - rather than telling them to be quiet and behave, I give them a task that requires concentration and co-operation. Then they learn focus and also feel a sense of achievement.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
struggle to see how anyone can be absolutely if you are talking about NO punishment whatsoever

But there is a very big difference in negative punishment and positive punishment isn't there?

Yes, I believe so, but any kind of punishment means that it is not purely positive.

Now I could lure them off, but I've heard of plenty of people who's dogs then just keep jumping on the furniture in order to jump off and get their reward.

But this is a consequence of poor training, rather than the downfall of using lures.............

yes, though it demonstrates that positive training can go wrong too.

As as example, teaching Stumpy to play dead. I tried luring etc without success so gently pushed her into the position. After that she got what I wanted immediately.

This is an excellent example of what many people do! Because they do not have the skills or knowledge of how to use hands off training, they then resort to hands on. Does not mean it is a necessity (after all having a dog play dead is not a life saving skill)

Playing dead is not a life saving skill but is very useful - e.g. for checking their bellies for ticks, growths, marks etc. It also meant that the vet was able to check her spay scar easily.

I agree that 'hands on' shouldn’t be an automatic way of teaching but I disagree that it is always a bad thing. I have a very tactile relationship with my dogs including massaging them and they do not see contact as a negative thing…possibly because I am never rough. And yes, maybe sometimes it is a 'lazy' way to train, but sometimes a way isn’t better just because it takes longer.

I will also 'force' my dogs to come back if I call - e.g. by clipping a lead on and pulling them towards me.

But this is a safety issue, you do not wait for a child to come back when called if it is running into the road, punishment is not the same as aversive, life is full of natural aversives and unnatural ones; what is more punishing, putting a dog on a lead out of harms way or letting it say be run over?

I did not mean to suggest that I thought this was punishment but rather the ‘compulsive’ training that the OP referred to…sometimes it is necessary to ‘make’ a dog do or not do something.

also use punishment - my voice 'No' or 'oih' or 'enough'; withdrawal of attention (walkaway from them if they are not listening); or making them go and lie down for a short while. These are all negatives, but I don't consider them harmful and the dogs understand what is going on. I don't tend to raise my voice very often because I think this just leads to it losing its effectiveness.

The thing we have to remember when discussing punishments and rewards is of course that it is the DOG that decides what is punishing and rewarding, not us!

Quite, but it still doesn’t get over that I think training without any punishment is extremely difficult.

Using a no or oi is an interruptor. Raising your voice just demonstrates you have lost control.

Yes, true, but it still has negative rather than positive connotations.

I have yet to meet a stubborn dog, met plenty of stubborn owners and met plenty of dogs who are not suffiently trained or rewarded, but no stubborn ones.
I think most dogs are capable of having stubborn moments, there are bound to be times when they really don’t want to do something (e.g. go out on a cold wet night for a pee). But I agree that generally dogs are biddable by nature and just want to please.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I teach young people the same way - rather than telling them to be quiet and behave, I give them a task that requires concentration and co-operation

If only all teachers and people working with 'youngsters' thought like that...I think thats a great way to approach the learning of people and animals. Age regardless really, but its a shame so many people still have such negative experiences when starting nursery, primary, secondary.......
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:02 PM
yes, though it demonstrates that positive training can go wrong too.

ANY method of training can go wrong, a lot depends on the skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience of the trainer!

The point I was making about hands on for playing dead is that whilst useful, it aint a REQUIRED skill, so no need to INSIST by using hands on, it can be done perfectly well hands off, IF you know what you are doing.

Another common misconception about those who use hands off training is that we do not touch our dogs or use canine massage, tellington touch etc, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Hands should be WELCOME to a dog, not a means of punishment.

Not wanting to do something does not = stubborness!

If I do not want to walk naked in the street, it has nothing to do with being obstinate!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I suppose I must have been a bit of an 'odd-bod' trainer looking at some of the experiences some have had with training classes.

For me, the emphasis was on having fun. Dogs having fun, owner having fun and me having fun. You can't have fun if you are, or are recommending chastising a dog or pushing/pulling them into various positions. A lot can be learned when having fun for all concerned.

Making the training as relaxed and enjoyable as possible achieves incredibly fast results because the learning takes place often without anybody noticing until they suddenly find that their dog is responsive to their wishes

As others have said, if I were taking my dog to a training class, I'd want to go and observe the class first. I'd want to talk both to the trainer(s) taking the class and to the people attending. I'd be looking for people (all of the people) enjoying the training experience and, of course, all of the dogs enjoying the training experience too
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I really don't believe dogs have stubborn moments - just don't think the term is applicable to dogs .. for sure they may choose not to do something but that doesn't mean an animal is being "stubborn"... refusing to go out in wet or cold has precious all to do with stubborness and everything to do with not liking being wet and/or cold ..

IME a dogs refusal to do something for it's handler can be for a myriad of reasons - insufficient teaching/ practice,
ineffective reward/ motivator, tiredness or illness, training fatigue, upping criteria too fast, handler/ dog relationship out of whack et al .. stubborness Hmmm not imo.
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Case in point in class this week - a dog who normally works really well was distracted, not responding to cues as was his normal response .. owner did say he thought the dog was being stubborn - I suggested his dog might need to toilet so he took dog out, dog had a pee and a poo, came back in to class and was back on form .. nothing stubborn about that just full bladder - bless.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Pet hate of mine is dogs described as stubborn and kids described as lazy. Both IMO mean not motivated and that is usually the fault of the teacher/trainer/session leader.

I try and always use positives but sometimes it is easier in life situations to physically remove a dog from danger or even just to get something done in a hurry.

I rarely move any dog around by its collar but have often slipped leads on visiting dogs to get them in from the garden etc. I mix and match with treats usually.

I have taught obedience etc hands and leads off for nearly 20 years now (Thank you John Fisher) and it is a lot easier IMO than dragging a dog around.

I was gobsmacked at the last HTM competions I went to to see so many starter dogs being dragged around and then grabbed when they left the ring. It has happened in the last 4/5 years as the competition has become more important I think. Those handlers would say they train positively so it appears to mean different things to different people.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Exactly, it is amazing to me the amount of handbagging that goes on (moving dogs around by collars) especially around jumps in WT even in ticket.

When anyone does this under me they lose points.........
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »