Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scotishhaggis
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Vet Charging through the roof

Hey guys

have to say great site glad I found it .

Well I was looking for a bit of advice on where I stand.

About a month a go we got a Puppy (a 10 month Patterdale Terrier Bitch) Spayed at our local Vet.

The Vet has glued the wound shut. Five days after the surgery I found her on the bed with the wound bust open . She had not been licking or biting at it. As she still had the guard around head..

So I called the vet . She adv to bring her across to the local surgery which I did at 9 pm at night . Vet could not do much till the next morning. That night she cover the open wound.

So I took her the next day for surgery to have the wound stitched up and to see what had gone wrong. After the surgery the Vet ad me that puppy had had a reaction to the sutures that they had to stitch her up internally. This caused a build of of fluid and then broke the wound open.

They gave me antibiotics and an ant-inflationary (Metacam). I asked the cost of all of this and was adv by the vet that I may only need to pay for the Drugs.

Was told to take her back 7 days after to have her checked up. Different vet this time adv she was ok . I then asked for how much I was due to them . Was advised by the veterinarian nurse that I was dune nothing

After 10 days she is all ok now.

Today I received a invoice from the Vet for £208 for Drugs and Emergency surgery. Now I am all willing to pay for the drugs but I fell that the issue lay with the Spay surgery to start with. The Spay was fully paid on the day of this being done.

Should I pay or can I take this to some sort of vet obsunu ?m
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm not really sure what you're asking here. The price doesn't seem excessive to me, not for emergency surgery plus drugs.

As for them saying you didn't have anything to pay, could they have misunderstood and thought you meant for that check up?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't know if there was any way the vet could know there would be a reaction. Unless it was caused by something the vet did wrong?

They should have told you about the bill at the time though.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'm not really sure what you're asking here. The price doesn't seem excessive to me, not for emergency surgery plus drugs.

As for them saying you didn't have anything to pay, could they have misunderstood and thought you meant for that check up?
I agree with this.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think there should be anything to pay. Although I know out-of-hours treatment is expensive (and this is probably what you are paying the extra for) I feel it was a post-operative problem associated with the surgery and should be included in the price you paid for the spay. I think I would go back to them, discuss the treatment and put a good case for not paying this amount in full, particularly as both the vet and the vet nurse originally said the cost would be minimal when you asked. Post operative care costs are normally included as part and parcel of the spay surgery and I hope you have success getting them to revise their bill. Otherwise, if you do have to pay ask if you can pay in installments and then later on I would change vets.
scotishhaggis
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Main issue is we already paid for Spay and a micro chip. that bill came to £235. I thin got a bill for another £203 today .
scotishhaggis
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I don't think there should be anything to pay. Although I know out-of-hours treatment is expensive (and this is probably what you are paying the extra for) I feel it was a post-operative problem associated with the surgery and should be included in the price you paid for the spay. I think I would go back to them, discuss the treatment and put a good case for not paying this amount in full, particularly as both the vet and the vet nurse originally said the cost would be minimal when you asked. Post operative care costs are normally included as part and parcel of the spay surgery and I hope you have success getting them to revise their bill. Otherwise, if you do have to pay ask if you can pay in installments and then later on I would change vets.
This what i thought . When I called the emergency vet i was not told the cost when there i asked they said it would be just the drugs.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Was the second bill itemised? - I would think a large part of it is probably the out-of-hours charge. As I said before, try and negotiate it down a bit, £438 is a lot for a spay.
scotishhaggis
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Was the second bill itemised? - I would think a large part of it is probably the out-of-hours charge. As I said before, try and negotiate it down a bit, £438 is a lot for a spay.
No bill stats B/FWD Totals 208.32.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I've never been charged a consultation fee for having my dog seen as a follow up to an issue we've been in for but I have always been charged for any extra drugs or procedures that were necessary. For example, when he tore his nail and had to have it removed we paid for the surgery, painkillers and antibiotics (£80 I thinkit came to) and then we paid for a 2nd lot of antibiotics and painkillers when it didn't clear up. However, we weren't charged the consultation fee that time or when we went back a 3rd time so the vet could check the infection had gone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >