Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

30-12-2014, 10:44 PM

New Member - needs info on torn ligaments

Hi everyone:

I joined this forum in the hopes that someone could give me some info regarding torn knee ligaments in dogs. I have a 70 lb. pit mix age 5, who is the sweetest dog you could meet. The vet tells me she needs surgery (TTA) on her knee. This surgery is not an option for many reasons. One of which is her recovery process would be impossible to carry out. I have been researching knee prosthetics and the like on line. Does anyone have personal knowledge of these devices. I would be so very grateful as I just hate seeing my dog suffer. Thank you again.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2014, 11:56 PM
You could always get advice from another vet, but I suspect you have already been given the best

You have your reasons for not wanting to take that route but you say the recovery process would be impossible which I don't understand. An operation is just the first part of any healing and the main part is the recovery which you seem reluctant to do.

The question you should ask yourself is which comes first your dogs health or your personal reasons. I would have thought friends and neighbours would rally around with help in the recovery process. have you asked them?

A good vet will be willing to take in your concerns and give the best advice rather than accept the good intentions from members of a forum like this

Anyway resting the damaged knee and possibly strapping it up to give it support may help somewhat, but I would take professional advice before doing anything yourself
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Charlie is a rescue who won't potty outside. She will do her business on wee wee pads in the basement. She cannot sleep in a room by herself she always sleeps upstairs with with us. We were told she must be confined to a small area. Charlies is very fearful of the crate and can't stand to be locked up anywhere. We would carry her up and down the stairs but she is 70 lbs. and we are seniors. I would like to see if anyone knows about a knee brace. I am trying to search for alternatives for her.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Hello, Welcome to Dogsey! The TTA is a procedure that is not right for all dogs and all situations. The dog must be kept VERY restricted for 8 weeks after the surgery and recovery is tedious. If this can't be done, the surgery will likely fail. For a pit bull, especially if it is an outdoor one or young one, this can be nearly impossible.

I can't say the condescending remarks about what matters more, her feelings or her dog, are totally necessary since clearly it seems she cares for her dog and is upset about the dogs condition. Some people can't stay with the dog or will have extreme trouble restricting the dog's movements as needed, it really would be hard.

I had to restrict a young Lab mix's movements for only a short time, about a week after he sprained a leg, and it was hideously hard, he did jump up and re-aggravate the injury and it was HELL trying to keep him from thinking he was perfectly fine after the pain subsided. I think it would be impossible for 8 total weeks. He'd be so upset and I'd not be able to do it.

My neighbors don't really care about dogs and they would not be of much help. My family would help a little, but they don't know what they are doing and would be unable to contain the dogs activity level. Not all people have these things at their disposal.

Ask a vet about alternative options, there are some other things that might be useful. Be sure to explain to the vet what you're explaining to us and the vet will surely understand and be of help. Sorry for your doggy.
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:22 AM
Thank you for your input. Charlie is an extremely active 5 year old pit bull. I know that she would reinjure any surgical site and I know confinement would not work. The last time we tried to crate her she literally bent it and escaped resulting in blood everywhere. If anyone knows about a dog using a knee brace I surely would appreciate any info.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:30 AM
http://orthodog.com/index.cfm/produc...re-knee-brace/

This looks like a good one. I'd give it a try and see if it helps the dog. It'll restrict her movement a ton naturally and it'll help her rest the leg. Now, now... this might also be of use if you decide to opt for the surgery.

They show what appears to be a pit bull mix as the demo dog, so I think they know why people would be looking at such a device. If she gets the surgery, this device will help her heal quicker, and if you still decide not to get it, maybe it'll still help.

I'd go for pain medication at the moment by the way. My guy got it and it really helped him. It's actually not a great idea to alleviate ALL the pain, because the dog will then think he is perfectly fine and go springing about and re-injure the leg.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2014, 02:47 AM
My Callie has been diagnosed with this as well, they say it's very common in the bully breeds. I know how you feel, things haven't progressed to surgery yet, but I looked at those x-rays and paled.

At about 3 years Callie has the knees of an elderly dog. One thing to look into is Care Credit. It's a credit program that many vets accept (some don't so ask first). But it helps with paying for more costly procedures.

I'd definitely look for a vet that accepts it. You want to educate yourself on all the options available out there. Fortunately I'm handy so I'm in the process of building moveable ramps so Callie doesn't have to strain himself more than need be.

I also am blessed being strong enough to lift him at times when he tries to jump from chairs and the bed. It's impossible to keep him from running and jumping completely. Like with your dog he's a young guy and has to get his zoomies out regularly.

I take some of it with a grain of salt. Sometimes it's like when we've had young human children. I can remember the pediatrician insisting on complete bed rest...while the same child would be doing cartwheels the next day. You just have to do the best you can sometimes.

Wishing you the best, you live a few towns over from me.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2014, 06:52 PM
My dog had surgery but I did invest in a brace from a company called zoom dog was about £100 I only used it once as it kept slipping off if you go Down the only the brace route maybe worth investing in one where it's made specifically for your dog as I felt I wasted my money
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. I called two highly recommended animal hospitals here in New Jersey. One told me they would not fit Charlie for a brace because they said it would cause the muscle to atrophy. The other told me that they would evaluate her and if they felt she would benefit, would have her fitted for a brace.

I want to especially thank Lovemybull. I think its wonderful that you care so much that you are building a ramp for your dog and are able to carry him around.

We are taking Charlie to the hospital in New Jersey for evaluation. Not every dog benefits from surgery. Charlie jumps and leaps and chases our cat and never slows down. As a rescue she has her quirks. I assume she won't potty outside because she was kept locked in a tenement from where she was rescued. We worked with her and the basement was the best bet. People say a pit bull is not a dog for an old lady but we love her and I don't regret a single day. Thanks again I will let you know how things turn out.
Dr. John
New Member!
Male 

22-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Miss Charlotte,

This diagnosis can be an extremely stressful one. Because I see this so often in clinical practice, I decided to create a video discussing the disease itself as well as options you have in deciding how to proceed. Please respond below the video with any questions and I will do my best to answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyFPES6qV3o
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >