View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2005, 04:31 PM

Whats the difference between the work and show?

How come working dogs look different to show dogs, e.g a working Cocker looks completely different to a show cocker, as do working beagles, working Springers, working greyhounds i could go on.
So how come their standards are different and they look completely different to their showing cousins?
best wishes
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Working dogs are bred for their minds/ working abilities, show dogs mainly to conform to the standard, working dogs dont have a standard Some breeds like GSP are dual purpose, show/work which is nice
hope that helps.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I think, atleast for the retrievers here in DK, its all about diff interests.

The "showppl" have no interest in working ability and the "workingppl" couldn't care less if their dog looks pretty in a showring.

Silly and stupid if you ask me - on both sides.

But just to add to your reply Gems: Working dogs have standards here aswell. Atleast the retrievers does
('whispers* not that it helps with our judges being nice only to the showtype. But then thank god for Germany who will see the dog for what it is )
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Basically because the show dogs are bred for looks & the working dogs bred for ability The ISDS motto says it all"Brains Before Beauty"

Having said that there are those of us who like working dogs & who have working dogs that win in the showring as well. I met a racing Greyhound bitch who won her class(a normal breed one)at Crufts !
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Good question, I show and I don't understand. My GSPs are both in working condition, they get a lot of exercise but we have been told that they are too well muscled for the show ring!! Surely a working gundog breed should be well muscled, also been told that the solid black GSP should not be shown cos solid black is an indication of working lines????

Murphy - Working
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/Het/murp.jpg

Isla - show
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/Het/isl.jpg
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Just in response to amts, in the UK there is no separate breed standard for the working type or version of any gundog breed. Each has a single Kennel Club breed standard, that describes in detail the characteristics of the breed. As has already been said, breeders of the working type have no interest in the appearance of the dog. Show people strive very hard to match the KC breed standard, at the expense of hunting ability.

I'm a show breeder, probably nuff said. Although I can appreciate a dual perpose dog and I can delight in a beautiful looking showdog training and achieving a full Champion title. However each to their own, there will always be horses for courses.

Dawn R.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
My dogs both work and show the only difference is when they work they are mucky

here they are in both capacities.

Mo
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Nursey
Just in response to amts, in the UK there is no separate breed standard for the working type or version of any gundog breed. Each has a single Kennel Club breed standard, that describes in detail the characteristics of the breed. As has already been said, breeders of the working type have no interest in the appearance of the dog. Show people strive very hard to match the KC breed standard, at the expense of hunting ability.

I'm a show breeder, probably nuff said. Although I can appreciate a dual perpose dog and I can delight in a beautiful looking showdog training and achieving a full Champion title. However each to their own, there will always be horses for courses.

Dawn R.
Thanks Dawn

Allthough I most say, here most breeders of the working types also cares much about standards too
Whats sad is that the two types of dogs has moved further and further apart, still within standard but enough for the eye to see the diff.

If only dog ppl would work together and not split things up in interests