View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Lol Steve! I know the bricklayers on our building site where I worked suffered terribly with this sort of thing and that is what they did, so I've passed it on. Sorry to hear about smashing your finger, you're not a brickie too are you coz they were always doing that too! The electricians were good at drilling through their fingers, and then coming to us for a plaster!??? You really are in the wars then, but glad to hear your cracked hands have healed up. You must get some of that barrier cream though, we use it all the time in kitchens coz it protects your hands from all the elements. My hubby suffers with cracked hands too and he always carries a pot of Vasalene around with him - that doesn't look too good either I might add!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2005, 08:00 PM
No-im not a bricky Helen-i did it carrying a filing cabinet out of building and smashed it against a steel pole in the ground!

The worst thing i did though was when i was a roofer.I had spent hours knocking 12" wide holes though a concrete subroof ready for the scuppers to be fitted using a Kangoo (a mini concrete breaker).In the concrete,there is steel reinforcing bars to give stength which have to be cut with an angle grinder and i stepped backwards-straight into one of the holes i had made.The sharp steel bars raked right down my leg and it was an absolute blood bath!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I dont need a dishwasher Foxy-theres only me here and i dont create much mess! Vegas has to make do with a bowl at the moment cause he kinda struggles with knives and forks...

My hands Helen are feeling normal at the moment-apart from where i nearly smashed my index finger last week,but that is rapidly healing.All the splits which some were bleeding have sealed up so aplying hand cream about 10 times a day has helped! The Vaseline idea sounds good,but i'd be terrified of anyone seeing my hands swamped in the stuff...

Well what when we all come for Christmas dinner

I haven't got a dishwasher either - and I need one
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Well what when we all come for Christmas dinner

I haven't got a dishwasher either - and I need one
I havent the room for a dishwasher and would have to remodel my kitchen to make one fit!
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
i have two there called maiden and saber lol
not realy i had a new kitchin fitted in feb but thay did not allow room for one
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 09:17 PM
No-im not a bricky Helen-i did it carrying a filing cabinet out of building and smashed it against a steel pole in the ground!

The worst thing i did though was when i was a roofer.I had spent hours knocking 12" wide holes though a concrete subroof ready for the scuppers to be fitted using a Kangoo (a mini concrete breaker).In the concrete,there is steel reinforcing bars to give stength which have to be cut with an angle grinder and i stepped backwards-straight into one of the holes i had made.The sharp steel bars raked right down my leg and it was an absolute blood bath!
Blimey Steve that sounds painful! That could have been nasty if you'd cut through your femural artery ya know! Seconds to live and all that! Better take care, you sound like more of a walking disaster than I am!
strawboss
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
I've always suffered with my hands drying out to such an extent that they crack,split then start bleeding which is very painful.I use Nivea hand cream with lanolin cause this is the most greasiest cream there is.

At the moment,im sitting here with my hands loaded up with the Nivea and also wearing latex gloves to try and get the skin to absorb as much as possible,but my hands are still hurting.

Any ideas anyone???
Good to know your hands are better Steve, I use a product called "bag balm"
Don't laugh, but it's intended for cows udders and has petroleum jelly, lanolin,
antiseptic etc, and works for me. Maybe a call to your vet?
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
I know this sounds really gross Steve but try not to wash your hands too much as it really dries them out.

Whenever I work in the darkroom my hands are wet half the time and I have to keep rinsing them because of the chemicals, and they get really really dry and sore. So try to keep your hands DRY as much as you can... and use lots of handcream as others have said
Tuti,
I know what you mean! My hands get soooooo sore when i am in the dark room, its something about the chemicals that really sting my hands. But i dont have to put up with sore hands any more as i have dropped my photography a level im devastated but it was the only way i cud get to uni
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 11:36 PM
I havent the room for a dishwasher and would have to remodel my kitchen to make one fit!
I have 2 dishwashers! They're called "Mam" and "Dad"! Sure you could make them fit!

Sorry couldn't help myself.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5