Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Lung cancer - lung lobe removed

It has taken me a while to be able to come on to post this but I really need some advice ASAP so can't put it off any longer.

Long story short Cookie ended up having a lung lobe removed with a cancerous tumour the size of a tennis ball growing inside it.
After having it sent of it came back as an aggressive cancer but the surrounding lung tissue was clean. They couldn't see any other masses on the x-ray but we need to go in tomorrow to decide what to do next.
The options seem to be to have treatment of some drug injection at the current vets, not sure of it's name but they have used it before to treat aggressive bone cancers
Or we can go to Liverpool Uni to have full chemo done there, but it is over an hour away with a dog who suffers car sickness
Or we can opt out and see what happens

At first he was acting so much better, so much more energy, wanting to play, but he has started coughing again, been sick twice this week even with giving him stuff to help settle his stomach and struggling on walks with his breathing, nothing manic but huffing much more than he should be for a gentle 15 min stroll.

I'm sorry I can't remember any of the technical terms for the cancer or drugs, but I was so shocked about all of this after he went in because I was paranoid he had bloat.

Forgot to add Cookie is 10 this year, he is a staffy cross and is still fairly happy. Loves to play, eat and when he's in the mood to have a big cuddle.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 03:30 PM
So sorry to hear this. When my Milo had osteosarcoma and had his leg removed, the vet was concerned that it would metastasize to the lungs but it didn't. He had four sessions of chemo and was absolutely fine through it all. Sadly, it was further primary bone tumours that got him in the end but he was a very fit ten year old and, once he had recovered from the sedation for the chemo, he was back to normal. I was lucky as my own vet carried out the treatment after everyone had gone home (as it's so toxic) although I learned afterwards that there were no shortage of volunteers to assist! I had to be careful for 48 hours and make sure I picked up his poo immediately and flush the areas where he wee'd, wearing rubber gloves.

Obviously, every dog reacts differently but the chemo was the least of my worries. You do have to remember though that they aren't looking at a cure (as in a person) but more a delaying tactic as the dose given is much less than it would be for a human.

Good luck.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2014, 03:45 PM
I have no advice to give you as luckily none of my dogs has ever had cancer, but I just want to say how sorry I am to hear about Cookie. Please give him a big cuddle for me if he would like it.

(((hugs)))
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Just to say sorry to read this. Ultimately the decision as to which way to go from here will rest with you. You know your dog best and whether his quality of life is worth sustaining and whether the downsides to any treatment are outweighed by the benefits and improvement.

I'm glad you've had 10 good years with him. I've been in your shoes with an 11 yr old dog. Initially I wanted to try anything. But once over the shock I opted not to subject her to a life that would be so different to what she'd enjoyed up until then. I felt she'd feel like she was being punished for something.

It's really bad luck that he doesn't travel well. That alone can be a nightmare for both of you.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I am so sorry to read about Cookie. Have you asked what the prognosis is with the different choices you have? We hear of dogs reacting differently to chemo. Fivedogpams experience was clearly a good one as far as the chemo was concerned, but a friend of mine whose collie had chemo was dreadfully sick, off its food, and lost most of its hair (not that the hair matters as it would grow back) but in the long run all the treatment her dog had only gave him a very little extra time.

Everything crossed that you can help your little fella continue to have a good quality of life.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and bits of advice.
He's still fairly happy and doesn't really act like he is ill until he starts coughing, which he has only done once today.
The vets have said that because this type isn't overly common there is no set treatment for it, but they have had both good and bad with both options. Since there are no other big masses we are quite hopeful but obviously he can't loose more lung and we don't want anything growing else where. Just wondered if anyone knew any more.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Cookie's condition - it must be heartbreaking for you to have to decide which route to take, but I know whatever you decide will be the best option for Cookie. Sending good vibes and hugs to you and to Cookie. Please let us know how he progresses.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 09:08 PM
I can offer no advice, but my heart goes out to you and I just hope that Cookie can enjoy life for a little while longer.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you all, I do keep coming on and reading your replies but I have been struggling to reply.
We are setting off to the vets in about an hour or so, I shall try to post what has been said.
My OH is planning on asking a lot of questions and since I just sort of stand there not taking any of it in no matter how hard I try I am going to record it on my phone so I can listen to it again until I can hear it if that makes sense.
Normally I am the one questioning things and taking it all on board but I'm really struggling with this, and to make things worse because I am upset Cookie gets upset and starts being a numpty! So that is distracting for everyone.
I'm going to dose me and Cookie up with some rescue remedy before we go, see if that helps us.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Sorry I didn't explain yesterday, I think all the stress of it all is causing migraines, I've had it up and down since Wednesday and it's making me quite ill.

The vet explained the procedures and past results and in the end we decided that we were having the chemo that the vet could provide rather than go to Liverpool and that we were opting out of a full body scan since Cookie has already been put under twice this month.
She took some blood to test to make sure he is okay to start the chemo and it will hopefully start this week or next.
He will have 4 lots of treatments, once every 3 weeks.

Fingers crossed it will be worth it and not make him ill.

Thanks for your replies, it's so good to have somewhere to turn to get support. We are all really struggling with this. My family and I lost our last dog to cancer, she was still having chemo when we lost her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >