Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Advice regarding seizures

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Purple]My two year three month old spayed bitch had a major seizure this morning which started just as she was waking up.

She has never had any form of seizure before and%
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Your best bet would be seeing a good vet. There are numerous reasons for siezures - some just happen as a one-off with no real cause, sometimes they need to be controlled with medication, but I doubt anyone could really diagnose her over the internet.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I am not sure what happened to my post - I had tried to edit it but it did not happen.

Anyhow I did phone my Vet once the seizure had stopped and she was able to get up, and he said not to worry too much and that if it happens again she will have to go on medication.

I am not expecting help over the internet as much as general advice as to what to do if she has another seizure, during and after the seizure itself, because I have never had a dog who had seizures. And possibly a bit of reassurance.

I still do not know about her regular Frontline Spot-on treatment which was due today, as I forgot to ask my Vet this morning and surgery has now finished until Sunday.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Whilst you are waiting, and worrying, this site may be of assistance?

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am not sure what happened to my post - I had tried to edit it but it did not happen.

Anyhow I did phone my Vet once the seizure had stopped and she was able to get up, and he said not to worry too much and that if it happens again she will have to go on medication.

I am not expecting help over the internet as much as general advice as to what to do if she has another seizure, during and after the seizure itself, because I have never had a dog who had seizures. And possibly a bit of reassurance.

I still do not know about her regular Frontline Spot-on treatment which was due today, as I forgot to ask my Vet this morning and surgery has now finished until Sunday.
hi scary but it may not happen again.
tad odd your vet saying she will have to go on medication if she has another one
its usually depending on the seriousness and frequency and of course the cause if any.
best to keep a diary...situation when it happened,after eating exercise etc,duration and what she did.
re if she does..if its indoors,turn off lights radio tv etc and draw the curtains,be there but not be there,as in make sure she cannot hurt herself,steady her if u must but do not put your hands near her mouth and do not talk to her.
HTH.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you Smokeybear - that site is exactly what I needed. It described exactly what happened this morning, which was, indeed, a Grand Mal seizure, and also described the way she acted during, immediately afterwards, and for an hour or so following.

There is a lot of advice in the Q&A section as well, which is helping to set my mind at rest.

Tupacs2legs - my Vet said to let him know if and when she has another seizure, even if it is a very mild one, so he can make a note of it on his computer records for her. He mentioned that she would need medication only if the seizures are frequent and regular.

The main problem is that she was a rescue puppy, her mongrel dam having been thrown out when in whelp, rescued by a local charitable organisation, with the dam and puppies being fostered until they were weaned, when they ended up at the shelter from which I adopted her when she was ~6 weeks old. So there is no record of her background.

Just another unwanted little mixed breed bitch puppy. Unwanted except by me.

I knew not to put my hands near her head but I did sit on the floor beside her and spoke to her gently, not knowing that I should not have done so. I just wanted her to know I was with her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I am so glad the link was of use, you often feel so alone when things like this happen, so just being able to access this wealth of information can be consoling.

Good luck with your dog.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Slightly conflicting advice from me! My epileptic dog only went onto medication (Epiphen) after his fourth seizure as they were becoming closer together (6 weeks, 2 weeks, 12 days) although none of them has been particular severe and, once he comes out of it, he is back to normal pretty quickly. I understand they are completely 'out of it' during the seizure but I always stroke my dog and talk to him to reassure him.

I have been keeping a diary with dates, times, what he was doing, what he had eaten, how long ago, weather conditions, etc., so my vet can look at it and identify any patterns that might be developing. If she does have any more, you might like to look at diet as too much grain is not good for epileptic dogs. I crate Rowan when I am not there - just in case he has a fit and it upsets the other dogs - for my own peace of mind.

It's a horrible situation to be in, watching and not knowing and the day he went onto meds I thinking this was the end of his normal life (he was only 5) but, eighteen months on, you would never know he was taking a 'sedative' and he has been fit-free ever since.

I still use Frontline on Rowan but, if you have any doubts, wait and speak to your vet - I am sure a couple of days won't make any difference.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I have never crated a dog - never had any reason to really and as I rarely go out for longer than the half hour it takes me to go across to the local shop, I see no reason to crate Pereg now. When I am out she has free run of the bungalow except for the bedroom. I have no interior doors but block the bedroom off during the day as I with a low plastic removable baby gate.

Mainly because she used to go in and bring my pillows into the salon, not because she was destructive, but now it is good that she cannot get onto the bed without me in case of another seizure and a possible harmful fall.

Pereg was adopted because I knew my other little one was not getting any younger and would not live forever. She had also been an unwanted "throwaway" tiny puppy. And the two of them got on wonderfully.

I just did not expect my little one to die eleven months later, just one month short of her twelfth birthday, and she was not ill. She just went to sleep cuddled up to me and died during the night.

Which is one reason why Pereg will be my last ever dog. I am far from young and severely disabled, and Pereg thinks that her job is to look after me. She is extremely intelligent and had she been fully trained she would have made a wonderful service dog.

As it is she is just my beloved companion, who, as I say, thinks that she is only here to look after me. Tell me if someone is at the door, tell me if the phone rings and I do not hear it.

I would be totally distraught if I lost her because I am far too old and too disabled to ever cope with another puppy, which is why I panicked so much this morning.

And I will continue to panic if she as much as hiccups now.

Thank you all for listening and for your advice. At least I know that I am not alone any more.
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey there

It's terrifying isnt it!! Lilly had her first fit when she was 6 month old, during her first season. She had 6 in a weekend and a very expensive trip to an emergeny vet. our vet said that they can be hormonal and that getting her spayed MAY reduce the risk. So we had her spayed and 6 month later she had 3 fits in the space of a weekned. Went to vet, said that as lon as they are that far apart its not much of a problem and her recovery time was great.

6 months later, 2 fits

6 months later, one fit

It's now 4 months since her last fit. They are horrible. Usually at night. Vet says there is no point medicating due to their frequency, I hope she never needs medication. i'm starting her on Omega 3 oil soon, as I've been told this can help with fits.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >