Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Disgusting

I dunno if anyone else saw "Cooking in the Danger Zone" last night, but it featured a South Korean national dish - stewed dog!

The presenter decided, finally, not to sample it, in case it was seen as endorsement.

I nearly lost my pizza.

Snorri
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2007, 06:30 PM
i can imagine an Indian posting the same thing on a cattle lovers forum over there, also complaining how he nearly choked on his pizza when he saw a cookery show about England featuring beef stew!
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
No I must have missed it, I'm not keen on those types of programs either. I passed the continental market on friday and felt sick, they were cooking osterich, kangaroo and some other random animal and it smelt vile
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm glad I missed that one :smt078
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
For me it's not what people eat that's the problem, as others have said we eat animals deemed sacred by other cultures but for me it's the manner in which the animals are housed, reared and slaughtered that I have issues with.
Becky
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Kangaroo is actually quite tasty
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 04:26 AM
I agree with Becky, its not what you eat, its the respect and care with which the animal is treating during its life an death process. I'm not happy with the way the U.S. does this at all, and thus, dont' eat meat. To borrow a phrase, don't pluck the speck out of your neighbors eye whilst you have a plank in your own. When we become the epitome of human animal husbandy, then we can start gawking and huffing about how other countries do things.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
ah Snorri and you thought you would make a light hearted post, this'll be whisked off to the debates section before you know it! lol

Well anyway I would have felt the same.

And I know countries deem some animals sacred but as far as I know it's because of religious belief not because of affectionate bonds with the animals?? You might be a bit hard pressed finding the 'cattle lovers' forum that belongs to those that hold any of them as sacred = not the same. To me the whole thing is totally different and I don't think it's worth comparing the two. Before any one jumps in about respecting others belief...I'm not disrespecting it just saying the view of the 'sacred' animal is different to our view of our pets which I think is fair comment.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd have felt the same Snorri, I remember years ago seeing a documentary on how they keep these dogs and their treatment of them is barbaric as it the way they are killed
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I watched it and I'm glad the presenter decided against eating dog. Showing the Inuits killing and eating seals , I can accept as they don't have much of a choice. They can't even grow vegetables in their environment. Most of the community shown were unemployed. They had a supermarket but the prices were very high , 4 dollars to the pound , so most people couldn't afford to buy food. So , they hunt purely for survival. Farming dogs for food is a different matter. Those countries DO have a choice. They can grow vegetables and raise cows , sheep , goats , pigs , chickens etc. But they choose to farm dogs as it is " traditional" and is a delicacy. In one scene on the programme , the presenter was shown the local market. It was disgusting to see rows of cages with dogs in them , quite often more than one dog per cage. At the dog farm , we were shown how the dogs were electrocuted to kill them.(They used to hang and beat the dog to make the meat tender). Again , several dogs cramped together in one cage. I'm sorry but I don't know how anyone can compare this to eating cows or sheep etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >