Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ilovetucker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2008, 08:27 AM

Really need some advice on walking and house training

My Border Collie is around 11 / 12 weeks old. Ive tried lots of things to house train him and it just is not working! I have taken some time off work to help him. I take him in the garden every hour to have the toilet. He goes for a wee sometimes but as soon as we come indoors he goes for a wee and poo! I cant understand why he does this. My OH normally tells him off and puts him outside for abit but as soon as he comes back in he does the same. I dont know why this is. Im also worried as he will just wee as your hugging him. I gave him a hug on the bed (after taking him out for a wee) and he wee'ed over me. He also did it to my OH on the stairs.
His jabs are all up to date and we have tried taking him for a walk. He was dibbling everywhere (what he does when his scared) and then puked up all over the place. I had to bring him home as i was worried sick. What should i do now? I cant put him through that again, how can i help him? any advice would be really helpful !!
thanks
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-10-2008, 08:34 AM
do you have the ability to copy a dvd? If so, I can hook up with you and let you burn a copy of an instructional film that might help.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Do you make a great big fuss of him when he goes outside ?
Also you are best not to tell him off when he goes indoors .
Lots of puppies wee when excited or scared it's just something they grow out of as their confidence gets built up . Take him out lots and let him see things don't make a fuss when he is scared and just let him see there is nothing to be scared of .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Can I just say, if he has no infections ...urine wise, then I would suggest that you try hard to ignore this behaviour.

BC's are very sensative dogs, Bruce used to wee as a pup whilst he was walking, all down his legs, he'd wee if anyone spoke to him, or a car went past.
We used to leave the back door open (well we still do, but that's me feeling that they can come in and out when they want) and follow him outside(never leave them alone), his wee's out there where given loads and loads of praise and treats, if he came in and did it, we used to ignore it....that may sound odd, but he soon caught on that if he did it outside...he got a treat and praise.
Your liitle one is still very very much a baby and the ''jig saw puzzle'' of where to do things just hasn't fell into place yet.
Cuddling him makes him excited and the muscles don't have any control yet so yes he'll wee... but he isn't doing anything wrong.
By telling him off and putting him outside, your instilling a punishment and he will get confused as to why you are annoyed. You need to go out with him, instill praise and play out there, so he realises that wee/pooing outside is a GOOD thing.

As for the walking, again he is a baby, he doesn't know what the things are that wait for him in the big world...all those noises, very frightening, all those people, cars, etc., all very scarey. Puppies learn alot from you as thier owner, BC's learn very very quick, and if you do not reassure him, or you get stressed he will by the time he's 5 to 6 months be very jumpy with things.....walk him slowly, as he gets frightened of things, just bend down to him, softly and quietly say ''It's ok'' reassure him with your voice, and then stroll on, ok it maybe a very long slow walk, but give it a couple of weeks and he'll love going out.

Good Luck, he sounds just fine to me
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Agree with Stevie, you should not tell him off for weeing or pooing in doors and this will usually just scare a puppy particularly one of a breed that can be quite sensitive.

You can make a noise if you catch them mid stream, but just to stop them not to scare the living day lights out of them! Then take them out side, and wait until they do go again, it might take 5 - 10 minutes, if he doesn't go, take him back inside and watch him like a hawk and take him back outside 15 minutes later.

He needs to be watched really closely to catch him when he looks like he is about to wee (e.g circling or sniffing the floor) or about to squat down. If you can't watch him he needs to be put in a safe are that won't matter to much if he does wee in it e.g the kitchen....or use a puppy crate.

Take him out for a wee on the hour every hour, just after he has eaten, drunk, played an excited game, woken up, or a visitor has been. Praise him really well when he does go outside, really try and get that tail wagging.

Puppies learn to move out of their imediate area to wee and poo when they are in the litter, but it is instinctive in them not to poo and wee out in the open as this attracts preditors so therefore, however inconvienient it is for us, it is completely normal for them not to want to wee in the garden and to come back inside and do it as soon as they get back inside.

With kindness, consistency and patience he should get there.

Have you got him enrolled in puppy classes yet? If not have a look at www.apdt.co.uk for classes in your area, there you will get tips on positive training methods and advice and support.
ilovetucker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks so much everyone. i feel better now. His just had a wee outside so both excited lol. thanks again guys