Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2005, 03:13 PM
What the rating on your peak flow?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2005, 03:19 PM
i presume you mean when i have tested myself???
I was told to test myself for a minimum of 3 times a day (first thing,after exercise and last thing before i go to bed) I have also been told to test when/just after an "attack". This morning i rated 300. my friend (who has asthma) thinks this is low but im really not sure?!?!?! :-S
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2005, 05:02 PM
300 is low ....dont know if everyone is different but mine should read 375/400......which my doctor says is good...........do you have a constant cough????????? ( especially at night as this is also a sign of Asthma).......as you are going to the doctor tomorrow...... he will be able to tell you what is wrong............good luck
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2005, 05:12 PM
emmm... i spend most nights coughing lol i usually end up sleeping upright on the sofa. i always thought this could be something to do with my parents smoking though. But i shouldnt really complain because both my mum and my dad are really thinking about cutting down/giving up because it affects me.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Do you have a persistent cough? (Most common symptom)
Chest pain?
Shortness of breath?
Do you wheeze or whistle when you breathe? (It is not always the case that asthmatics wheeze though)
When you laugh do you wheeze?
Tightness in the chest?
Is it worse at night and does sitting up relieve it a little?

Asthma is an inflammatory disorder of the airways (tubes that carry air in and out of the lungs). They become inflamed and narrower and produce xs mucous so that they become severely restricted. I don't think the throat would close up, unless it is inflammed by an irritant. Certainly people shouldn't be smoking around you if you are having breathing difficulties. Also dust mites are a common cause of asthma and sometimes pet dander.

Try to list all the symptoms, even if they seem unrelated to asthma and tell your GP.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Hope all goes well at the doctors today. Let us know how you get on.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Defo sounds like asthma to me...i used to get wheezy in winter amd my peak flow was about 310...i stoppped smoking and now i dont get winter asthma as bad and peak flow is now 450ish...good look...your doc wiil sort it!
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Yup, sounds like asthma to me too.

I only developed it when I was 17. appointment is today right??

Let us know
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2005, 05:27 PM
hi everyone, as you know i had my appointment today but we dont know anything for definate yet. The doctor said that it is unusual for somebody to develop asthma during the "teenage period" , that asthma usually develops in childhood or adulthood and that im in the middle (like i didnt know that lol ). So she suspects panic attacks so I need to use a paper bag for the next few weeks and if that doesnt help then i need to go back. Hopefully it is panic attacks because i know that people with asthma "have got a bad deal" in teenage speak.

I would just like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread, its been a real help. Will keep you posted on any developments
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Not nice to have the attacks no matter which they are, but yes, prob better if its panic attacks.

But I developed it when I was 17 - thats a teenager - I must be weird!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >