Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 07:54 PM

Poor Remus

Not satisfied with stitches in his back leg, Remus has now severed an artery in his front foot. He's had it stitched today and they think they have saved the blood supply, but if it's lost then he will loose the toe.

BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Oh Remus
Sending cuddles to him (and your purse!!), poor little guy, he is in the wars isnt he!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:08 PM
OMG! How did he manage that one?

Poor Remus and poor you too - it's one thing after another lately with the dawgies isn't it!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Oh Remus
Sending cuddles to him (and your purse!!), poor little guy, he is in the wars isnt he!
Thank you. Thankfully our vet lets us claime directly via the insurance company, so I only have to pay the excess...but that's two lots of £90 in just over a week!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
OMG! How did he manage that one?

Poor Remus and poor you too - it's one thing after another lately with the dawgies isn't it!
He was on lead would you believe! Went for a little wallow in a ditch and must have trodden on some glass.

I thought the amount of blood could have been because it was mixing with water but when I lifted his foot I could see it pumping out so I guess it was an artery. I hoped he might have just knicked it...but no. Poor boy we were 15 minutes into the woods so I had to make him walk back to the car with my other two charges. Thankfully I was walkign with my dog walker friend as Tonks had just found a deer leg and gone off to chomp on it where the other dogs couldn't get it...so I abandoned her in the woods. Five minutes later she returned to the pack and Nikki carried on walking with her on lead so she didn't try to follow me.

I took my socks off and tied them together to make a bandaged with slowed the bleeding a little but as soon as the vet took it off it starts to pump all over the floor again. Poor boy. Also while he was post op it looks like he has been licking and chewing on the stitches in his leg, which I'm not too chuffed about. We dashed to the nearest branch of our vets rather than are usually vets as it was bleeding so much and I'm not as impressed with them. When I picked him up he stil had his fleecy jumper on and his muzzle! Even though I explained to him that he's very friendly but with a low pain tolerance and having not taught him bite inhibition myself during his early neglected weeks I play it safe and muzzle him if it's going to b a painful procedure at the vets. Our usual vets don't leave him muzzled all the time.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Oh no poor little chap, Remus is in the wars.
I hope everything heals up soon Catrin...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Poor Remus and you. Hope he heals soon.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Catrin that must have been really frightening for you(( hugs))good idea with the socks btw
Poor wee guy fingers crossed everything will be ok xx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Catrin that must have been really frightening for you(( hugs))good idea with the socks btw
Poor wee guy fingers crossed everything will be ok xx
Thank you everyone.

I was concerned about how much blood he might be loosing....I don't know much about these things but I knew by the way it was pumping that is was an artery...but how much is too much blood to loose for a dog his size? Nikki said they followed the trail of blood all the way back to the car when they had finished their walk.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Oh, no. Goodness Catrin! You can't catch a break can you? I'm so sorry about poor Remus. At least you have insurance to cover all his bills. I'd be in dire straights if this happened to my dogs. You did well with stopping the blood loss and whatnot, some people would have panicked.

I hope he recovers well and he stops getting into issues... for your sake, as well as his.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >