Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PizzaPrincess
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Im so excited!

I just got the email from my landlord to say they are adding permission to get a dog to my contract.

This evening I will start to re-read The Culture Clash and im researching locally available foods too (I dont drive)

Ill be reading through the forum, my main concerns now are that I have a weeks holiday booked abroad in July (I honestly thought the landlord would say no!) so I need to find a friend or relative happy to have the dog for a week, hard when there is no dog yet! SO I guess I need some advice on other options if nobody I know is free that week!

Im researching rescues today too, theres quite a few to consider around Nottingham way so I should be able to find one that fits my ethics easily enough!

Anyway Im off to start reading, although ive done a lot of research im sure theres a lot I havnt considered!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by PizzaPrincess View Post
I just got the email from my landlord to say they are adding permission to get a dog to my contract.

This evening I will start to re-read The Culture Clash and im researching locally available foods too (I dont drive)

Ill be reading through the forum, my main concerns now are that I have a weeks holiday booked abroad in July (I honestly thought the landlord would say no!) so I need to find a friend or relative happy to have the dog for a week, hard when there is no dog yet! SO I guess I need some advice on other options if nobody I know is free that week!

Im researching rescues today too, theres quite a few to consider around Nottingham way so I should be able to find one that fits my ethics easily enough!

Anyway Im off to start reading, although ive done a lot of research im sure theres a lot I havnt considered!
Good news!
And welcome!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Wait until after your holiday. Also the Culture Clash is a bit outdated so find something more up to date. Before you get your dog go to some dog training classes and watch what they do and get an idea of what is best for you. You will find that some books conflict with the ideas of dog training. So be careful and read some and discard what doesn't appeal to you.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2018, 05:01 PM
You must be so excited, but I agree with Brenda, and would be inclined to wait until after the holiday too. Take your time deciding what is the right choice for you. Fill the time by researching which breed would suit your lifestyle, and finding a good breeder who health tests, and really cares about their breed. As Brenda says, you can also seek out the best positive trainers in your area, and read up on various training methods too.
PizzaPrincess
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2018, 05:14 PM
I only rescue

I previously got on very well with the Culture Clash, what would you recommend as a more up to date book along the same lines?
Ptolemy82
New Member!
Male 

27-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I bet you're very excited.

The fact that "The Culture Clash" is on your bookshelf would appear to indicate that this isn't your first dog. FWIW, I have a copy on my shelves and also, on my Kindle. There's a great deal of relevant information in there that stands the test of time and I wouldn't dismiss it - use what you have, why spend money if you don't need to?

If you were to look for a different book, what sort of things would you want it to contain?

If you're researching locally available foods it may be worth noting that in our local market, there is a stallholder that will deliver on his way back from the wholesaler each week (foods not kept for weeks on his stall and I don't have to carry big bags).

When you think about your holiday and "dog care", please bear in mind that it takes time for a dog to adjust to new surroundings and new routines, hence the comments about waiting. It may be an idea to ask the rescue and be guided by them, after all, they have experience of THAT animal. They will have more experience if he/she has been fostered. They may know of suitable options and/or may "hold" the animal until your return.