Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Charity shops

Do you like charity shops? I tend to go in them when I'm down the caravan and go into the village to have a wander around. There are 3 in East Wittering and I have picked up some lovely clothes over the past few years. But the other day capped it all. They must have been running out of space because on a table outside was 5 items for £1. So I had a rummage thinking it would probably be most of their tat. How wrong was I. I came away with 4 dresses, 4 skirts, 3 tops, a jumper, a white denim jacket, pair of shorts for OH lol, a beige smart jacket, and a pair of jeans. I gave them £5 for the lot which they were pleased for. Now I usually try things on but guessed most of these looking forward to the 'trying on' session when I got back to the caravan. The only thing that was too big were the jeans which I resolved by adding a button on the waistband. None of the items were dirty or smelly, even the white denim jacket looked as though it had been washed before handing in. To say I was chuffed is putting it mildly although OH would disagree saying I've far too many clothes. AND I can't argue with that! However who can't resist a bargain.

Have you had any great buys from a charity shop?
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
I love charity shops, my fave ever bargain was a Radley handbag, I use it all the time. My daughter buys books from them all the time.
You can get some great buys from them
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't tend to buy clothes, they never really have anything I like. But I have bought plenty of other things, I always have a nosey through the window and see if I can stop anything I like.
I used to pick up soft teddies for Cookie when he was younger, chuck them in the washing machine and then let him 'play' with them. He would always destroy soft toys, but didn't like kongs or similar type rubber toys (unless they contained food).
Best things I have bought have both been for Cookie, a gorgeous pie dish, which had a pie recipe in the base. Even my mum commented how nice it was and asked if I was planning on making the pie, assuming I had bought it for it's original purpose. I just thought it looked so much nicer than his usual metal bowls. My OH accidentally dropped and smashed it. I think I must have paid maybe £3-5 (I always pay more than the price tag in charity shops).
The other thing was one of those electric dog nail files. Again just a few pounds, even had new batteries with it and looked like it had only been used once as they was a tiny mark on the file that was in and the other ones hadn't been touched. All packaging and instructions there. I guess it's the sort of thing most dogs hate. Worked lovely on Cookie's nails though.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Our "dying" High Street is full of charity shops. I can count 6 straight away,and there are probably more
I always get Pepsi's toys from the charity shops, which she tears to shreds
I once bought a beautiful sparkly top from a charity shop to wear on one of the cruises we went on. Well nobody knew
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2015, 04:19 PM
I love charity shops and spend most of my holiday money in them when I'm in the UK. There's also a good one over here in the shopping mall which only sells clothes mostly from the UK and France. Over the past few months I've bought a quilted coat to wear at training and several sweaters mostly F&F (Tesco) or George (Asda) all of which were new and half the price if I'd bought them in the same shops in England! Books I'm not so lucky with but my DIL every few months sends me half a dozen or so which she's bought from the charity shops ... some on the way now together with 1000 teabags which are horribly expensive over here but I can't possibly live without!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 05:38 AM
Around here the charity shops are terrific for brand name basics. I wear jeans or leggings to work everyday. If you know what you're looking for it's maybe $5-$10 for a pair of jeans that were $60 plus new!
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2015, 01:54 PM
I don't buy my clothes from them.
I mainly just buy clothes for my nephews and toys/books for them.
I might buy handbags or necklaces for myself if I spot any I like.
I once picked up an army style jacket for my oldest nephew cost no more than £5 he loves it. He just loves army stuff so I had to buy it for him of course!