View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Losos - I know what 'hear hear' means but was interested to know the origin or whatever so looked it up - you might like this.

It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Of course, if the speaker is actually asking a question, such as "and just where do you think we should open the new strip club?" it's not hard to imagine that at least one in attendance might yell, "here, here!" But this would be the exception that proves the rule.

Bit of mixed English and German discussion of it here

http://stancarey.wordpress.com/2009/...ere-hear-hear/

Now see what you've done? I am SUPPOSED to be working!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Here here

I think that expression dates back a long way to when parliament was just starting (15th century ) I do not know much more about it except you hear it all the time on the TV Parliament channel. (Basically means the person agrees with what has been said)

I wonder what the German equivalent is
here here! I might could tell you

...if I would only understand what you mean by that

Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
...if I would only understand what you mean by that
It is a difficult one to explain

Imagine you are in a public meeting listening to a speaker and he says something that you agree with, you want to show that you agree so you shout out something, it can not be anything long as that would interupt the speaker, it needs to be something short, one or two words maximun.

Hope that is some help, next week I will be in Koln and will ask my friend there for proper German translation.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 09:16 PM
It is a difficult one to explain

Imagine you are in a public meeting listening to a speaker and he says something that you agree with, you want to show that you agree so you shout out something, it can not be anything long as that would interupt the speaker, it needs to be something short, one or two words maximun.

Hope that is some help, next week I will be in Koln and will ask my friend there for proper German translation.
hahaha, okay ask your friend for and then tell me about proper German

as my first idea were been "do host recht!" or "freile, jo!"
but that's Bavarian, so no proper German

but maybe "ja, Genau!" (yes, exactly) would be fine

just let me know, would be interested in
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
just let me know, would be interested in
Will do, she is German but lived in South Africa up to age 25 (So is truly bilingual) and her husband teaches German in a Koln school so between them we could get an answer
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Will do, she is German but lived in South Africa up to age 25 (So is truly bilingual) and her husband teaches German in a Koln school so between them we could get an answer
lol, a German teacher is always good

once I've been up at Bremen by work and was just talking to them how I do (as I forgot... )
they rarely could understand my dialect, then I got taught by an turkish fellow how to speak proper German!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3