Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
It's the mindset of the people that needs changing and that takes a long time and cannot be legislated for.
In many countries, (I won't name them but you all know who I mean) a 'long time' could mean hundreds if not thousands of years.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Hi Malpeki,

I mean this most kindly as I know English is not your first language but ... the word you are looking for is THREADS, not THREATS! (Must admit it has been making me smile!)

Making threats has an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT meaning lol!
Oops! Jesus right, I know *giggle*

but when that little huge mistake made you smiling, then it already was worth it to make it

as I don't like grumpy looking people
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
How nice it is that you can quote 'old sayings to us' it is much appreciated by me at least.

Yes it's good to keep awareness of all the rescue organisations because there is so much that needs ot be done and if we all give a little here and there perhaps the dogs most in need will be saved.

I also agree that our dogs do not envy some fancy harness or wish for a very expensive coat, so in our house we do not buy these things, we prefer to buy good food, and make sure they have good medical attention, (there is no insurance for dogs here in CZ so we pay all the vet bills ourselves.)
hehe, to be honest, I didn't know that old English saying
I only knew the German one, but I found a website who gives you the right translation of the English version of several sayings
so the real translation of the German saying would be:
small cattles are also making mist

but nice to hear, that there are some people around who are thinking likewise than I do
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes Alexandra I've never seen it written like that but it's true and did make me smile, hope you don't mind since this is a serious thread.
awww nah, I don't mind at all, lol

I'm fully aware of, that often my "English" sounds quite funny

but I've to say, I never learnt it properly, nor studied it
I just got it by kinda DIY
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 12:05 PM
By the way I did not read Malpeki here as asking people to donate to her cause or a particular cause. More that they were asking people to think twice before spending money on frivolous stuff their dogs do not need and to either donate to a food box or collecting box instead or to give some of it.

well, you got that perfectly right

I understand perfectly the horrors of animal abuse in countries outside of the UK - UK has its problems but the animal cruelty seen here in Cyprus is far worse. It's the mindset of the people that needs changing and that takes a long time and cannot be legislated for.
and that unfortunately is right too
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 12:07 PM
In many countries, (I won't name them but you all know who I mean) a 'long time' could mean hundreds if not thousands of years.
or never
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes you did make me smile Malpeki - I am a quick to laugh - quick to cry sort of person! I love to laugh and it doesn't take much (dog manages to make me laugh every day lol!)

I think your English is EXCELLENT - and I wouldn't have bothered to point out the Threat / Thread thing if I didn't think you would have understood it!

My darling daughter in law is Polish. Her English now is very good but she still makes some 'funny' mistakes - however some of them are so 'appealing' that we not only don't correct her - we adopt them and all say them too!

One of my favourite Monika-isms is one she uses when eating ...

Tastee very delicious! The whole family says that now!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes you did make me smile Malpeki - I am a quick to laugh - quick to cry sort of person! I love to laugh and it doesn't take much (dog manages to make me laugh every day lol!)

I think your English is EXCELLENT - and I wouldn't have bothered to point out the Threat / Thread thing if I didn't think you would have understood it!

My darling daughter in law is Polish. Her English now is very good but she still makes some 'funny' mistakes - however some of them are so 'appealing' that we not only don't correct her - we adopt them and all say them too!

One of my favourite Monika-isms is one she uses when eating ...

Tastee very delicious! The whole family says that now!
lol, that's funny and I like your mindset

already too many grumpy peeps around nobody needs, as life is already tough enough
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2013, 03:14 PM
I think your English is EXCELLENT
Here here

I think that expression dates back a long way to when parliament was just starting (15th century ) I do not know much more about it except you hear it all the time on the TV Parliament channel. (Basically means the person agrees with what has been said)

I wonder what the German equivalent is
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Here here

I think that expression dates back a long way to when parliament was just starting (15th century ) I do not know much more about it except you hear it all the time on the TV Parliament channel. (Basically means the person agrees with what has been said)

I wonder what the German equivalent is
It's 'hear hear' actually! Sounds exactly the same as 'here here' but yet another of those two English words that sound the same but have different meanings! And is a VERY common error even among English speakers.

You've now reminded me of an adult Swiss Language student I hosted while she studied English. She was totally fascinated with some English expressions and wandered around saying stuff like ....

I am having a WHALE of a time!
and
I haven't got the FOGGIEST idea!

We all loved her and so did my dog. She took the dog to the language institute with her one day and was disgusted that they told her she could not bring the dog to school with her! She thought it would be OK if the dog stayed on her lap!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >