Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlotte-tebb
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Homemade diet for chronic pancreatitis

Hi,

My dog has suffered with chronic pancreatitis. It was undiagnosed for a long time until he had an acute attack about 18 months ago. Once he had been diagnosed I put him on Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat and initially he was like a new dog. For about a year he was doing really well on this food, then about 6 months ago he started having mild flare ups of the condition. My vet suspects that he has some inflammatory bowel disease going on in the small intestine as well as the pancreatitis and we are sort of running out of ideas treatment wise. Most of the time he is well and but the condition keeps on rearing it's ugly head maybe once a month on average. I am considering weather a low fat home cooked diet would be better for him, but it needs to be really low fat, Royal canin diet is 1.7%fat.

Does anyone have any ideas for a home cooked recipie, or a different dog food that is no more than 1.7% fat?

Any advice much appreciated?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:33 PM
This is a good site for diets for different health problems

http://www.dogaware.com/

HTH
charlotte-tebb
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
This is a good site for diets for different health problems

http://www.dogaware.com/

HTH
Thank you this looks like it has some usefull info
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Many years ago I had an old english sheepdog that had the same problem. For years I was cooking rice, chicken, white fish, hard boiling eggs and adding SA37 powders etc. It seemed to sort him out for quite a while but I was never convinced that I was giving him a balanced diet, doing this in my kitchen. My vet then discovered Eukanuba which, at the time, was only sold in vets and my dog thrived on it. Its now a very different diet with very different ingredients but I wonder if you could do a mixture of the royal canin along with home cooked fish, chicken and rice, say one meal dried the other your home recipe. A friend has done a similar thing with her pointer and it seems to have worked for her for the past nine months. The lapses are few and far between. Best of luck.