Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 11:52 PM
HI All,

Well here goes - Hope these pictures of Shadow can be seen once I've posted.

He's fine with people and if you look at the last piccy, he's more interested in the laptop than the cat sat next to him. He doesn't see the point in chasing cats - he thinks they're boring.

He's full of character and it's crucifying me that I can't take him, if only as a temporary measure.

Laura xx
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I think you may be best contacting the club rescue, as although they may not have a place for him, it was not so long ago I contacted them about a dog, and they were able to help, also its the first time I have heard of a mal being born without a tail. is it possible that the tail got injured as a pup and was removed? just looked up the details of this breeder they are advertising on a certain other well known board, that has breeders advertising, it may be worth contacting the board admin and inform them of this breeders practices. although I doubt if it will stop them.

Mo
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Thanks MO. I'll speak with Shadow's owner so she can keep on with the breed rescue. I think that's the best place for him as he shouldn't go to just anyone. He needs and deserves someone who knows the breed.

As far as I know he was just born without his tail. Maybe it didn't develop before he was born. Although I think it's more likely that it was injured when he was tiny, but if this breeder is as unscrupulous as she seems, she's not likely to admit to it.

I feel so sorry for him - but that's not going to get him anywhere is it?!

Is there as breeder "watchdog" that this woman can be reported to? She shouldn't be breeding at all, regardless of the qulity of her dogs if she won't take full repsonsibility for them.

Laura xx
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Is there as breeder "watchdog" that this woman can be reported to? She shouldn't be breeding at all, regardless of the qulity of her dogs if she won't take full repsonsibility for them.

Laura xx[/QUOTE]

wish there was, then all the puppy farmers would be out of a job.

Mo
pagan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Just caught up with this thread and can't believe how appalling some breeders still are regarding their responsibilites
"if you can't feed 'em
DON'T BREED 'EM"
you responsibilities are for life not just 'til the cheque clears - this is why breed welfare groups are overloaded. you could try complaining to the KC about the breeder's behaviour as she is selling the pups with registration papers

Now I have vented! where is Shadow based? I am in Ludlow, South Shropshire. (on the welsh border just left of birmingham - for those whose sense of direction is as good as mine)

I am heavily involved in our local rescues - home checking, assessing and placement of difficult to rehome dogs. I am a trainer and work with severe behaviour issues. Occassionally I take rehab/urgent cases and the overflow from the local kennels. How is he with other dogs?

If he is still in need please email me and if I can help I will
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Pagan,

Shadow is in Ludlow!

He's OK with other dogs so long as he's introduced carefully and is great with dominant females (every adolescent boy's dream,, no??)

His owner contacted the breed rescue again but they're not interested - it's something to do with them falling out with his breeder - which I think is ridiculous. Either you want to help dogs or not. Personal differences shouldnt' get in the way but I'm not involved enough to knwo all the facts of what went on.

Laura xx
Animal Magic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Mally rescue hasn't heard anything about this dog. I'm not sure who your friend has been speaking to today but it certainly wasn't Cynthia.
AMCUK Rescue
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Animal Magic View Post
Mally rescue hasn't heard anything about this dog. I'm not sure who your friend has been speaking to but it certainly wasn't Cynthia.
That's correct. I've been handling AMCUK Rescue since early December and have never heard of a mally without a tail (until Animal Magic mentioned it to me on Friday, having seen this post, I believe) nor had a call about this one one, so far as I know.

I have had the occasional message or a call referred from someone else where I call back and leave a message to ask for more information (location, dog name, age, etc) and sometimes people don't call me back--but this one is not ringing any bells, either by dog location or name.

Additionally, I haven't fallen out with any breeders (to my knowledge!) and try to work with whomever I can to rehome purebred Alaskan Malamutes. Our current policy is that the dog "must" be KC registered but, as with all things, there are exceptions to every rule and reasons for "rescue" that supercede a piece of paper.

Anyone needing assistance with rehoming an Alaskan Malamute can email me at info@malamuterescue.org.uk or can visit our (new) website at www.malamuterescue.org.uk where there is a bunch of information, more links, dogs available, success stories and so on. I try to update the site at least once each month.

My name is Cynthia; I have owned Alaskan Malamutes since 1980 (first in the US) and now have two rescue Mallies of my own here in the UK. I'd have more of them (like Animal Magic!) except then I wouldn't have time to do the rescue job!

There is a dedicated Alaskan Malamute rescue mobile phone which can be reached at 07969-627963. I endeavour to return ALL calls within 24 hours at the latest.

I hope that whoever is trying to rehome this dog will get in touch with me. I will do whatever I can to help. Dogs who get on with cats are much in demand so this sweetheart could just be someone's new best furry friend real soon!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Cynthia,

Thank you so much for posting. I'll give Shadow's owner a call and find out exaclty who she phoned. if it was a rescue my guess, from what you've said, is that she called a general rescue rather than one that is breed specific.

If you're the only one out there or near enough for her to contact then you'd know beter than me.

I'll pass on your contact details if you don't mind and hopefully she'll speak with you tomorrow.

Laura xx
pagan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Just an update on Shadow and a thank you to Laura for putting me in touch with his owner

We are not too far apart and I have visited and assessed Shadow, he is just a typical mal (apart from the tail thing!!) and only needs some refresher training to help him adapt to his owner's health issues.

He will be staying with his owner and is undergoing some rehab training to help her exercise him and I will continue to support Shadow and his family. We are regularly in contact so I can step in to help if any further changes occur.

Shadow's owner is really pleased that he can stay and his new training means all the family are involved in his care.

Thanks again Laura, your post put us in touch and everything is working out great
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >