Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Not sure If I've done the right thing?

OH & I are off on holiday on Thursday for 8 nights.

Normally the dogs go in the local kennels but OH knows how much I hate leaving them and suggested we use someone we know who boards dogs at her home.

I know both her & her OH quite well - they are both lovely people and they have a massive secure garden. Although she does work part time, it will still mean that the dogs will have far more company/attention than at the kennels and I do trust her to be completely responsible with them.

They have two basset hounds who are very relaxed about other dogs. Kip & Hoki have been there twice for a couple of hours each time (with me still there) and they were all fine.

But last night I woke up about 4am and couldn't stop wondering whether I had made the right decision.
My main concern is that Kip has been going to the same kennels once or twice a year for the past 5 years, so he knows the people and the routine and knows we will come back for him.

At his age (about 13) I just wonder whether familiarity may have been better for him even if it is the less comfortable of the 2 options.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I think, if you are anything like me, you would have woken up worrying even if you had put them into the kennels. I suspect you are just worried about your dogs. The set up sounds great and Kip will enjoy his home form ho,e. Try to relax and enjoy your hols....(she says knowing full well part of you will be at home with your dogs!)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think, if you are anything like me, you would have woken up worrying even if you had put them into the kennels. I suspect you are just worried about your dogs. The set up sounds great and Kip will enjoy his home form ho,e. Try to relax and enjoy your hols....(she says knowing full well part of you will be at home with your dogs!)

you really do know me
If it was up to me we'd only go places where we could take the dogs...but then I can't begrudge OH a couple of weeks a year without them since if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be able to have dogs at all.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Awwww Home comforts - what more could they ask for. Try not to worry, concentrate on having a great Holiday!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I think Ramble has hit the nail on the head there.
At least, when they are old and feeling creaky, there wil be someone there all the time to notice. I don't mind kennels at all, my two go in them, but it would be nice is they had somewhere homely to go.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I think where they are going sounds great and it will be a wee change for them. Enjoy your holiday and don't feel guilty, they'll have a great holiday too.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Awwwww dont worry they will be ok just go and have a lovely hoilday have a lovely rest.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys, you really have made me feel better