Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freddie's mum
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Going backwards in toilet training and sleeping

Hi, I'm new to this site and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience to me. Currently my 14 month old cavalier King Charles has started waking up at various times during the night and aggressively scratching the door (to the point where there is no paint left) and yapping. He is relentless. When we came down there was always toilet evidence. He was trained during the night but has now gone backwards. When we let him out he'll sleep in our room happily for hours but I don't want him to sleep in the bedroom. We have started to ignore him at night now but our bags under our eyes are getting heavier. Sorry to go on but getting desparate now.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2014, 07:32 PM
If he's been clean through the night and this is a sudden change in behaviour it might be worth getting him checked out by the vet, it could be that he has a urine infection that is causing him to need through the night?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Hello Pat and welcome
You say..
When we came down there was always toilet evidence.
...is he peeing/pooing or both.

What time do you take him out last thing.
What time is his last meal and what do you feed him.
Can you remember when this started and did something change around that time (light nights/food etc.)

I would take him out as late as possible for a short walk preferably to a place frequented by other dogs.
The scent of others and short walks should stimulate him to relieve himself then you can be sure he is 'empty' when he settles down for the night.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2014, 11:14 PM
If you don't want him in the bedroom, could he not have a comfy crate by the open bedroom door? If he will sleep happily in your room, it seems as if he needs the reassurance that you are nearby. It may just be a phase, or some real symptom may be disturbing him, but at least the tension will fade and you'll all get some sleep.
Freddie's mum
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have thought about taking him to the vet but the possibility of a urine infection doesn't explain the bowel problem as well. My brother in law trained police dogs and he suggested he goes out for a short walk last thing at night which I do and he relieves himself nicely but it's still happening during the night as well. He, s on dry food the last meal being at 6pm ish so I know we are not over feeding him. Can't think of any change in circumstance to bring on this sudden change. I am sorely tempted to give in and let him sleep in the bedroom but not until he is clear during the night again.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Hi, welcome to Dogsey!
It could be separation anxiety, or a hidden health issue. I would get him checked out by the vet for safety's sake, but perhaps have him in the bedroom in a crate. That way he can see you and hear your voice, but he still has his own place.
Ensure he has done a poop before you come back from his night-time walk, as he'll be more comfortable and more likely to settle.
Hope that helps!
Freddie's mum
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks PONlady, we have kept him in the bedroom the last couple of nights and he has been as good as gold. So, I have come to the conclusion it is separation anxiety as he does like company. Doesn't explain why it has recently started but anyway we are all getting our sleep back.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm pleased you are getting a good night's sleep!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Glad you've found a solution. My youngest dog (18 month old Bull Lurcher) sleeps in our bedroom because he gets anxious other wise and would have me up regularly thorough the night with his nervous bladder. I didn't plan to have a dog sleeping in my bedroom but it seems to be what he needs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Pleased to hear you've now got it sorted, even if he has won!

I was going to say, you actually answered your own question in your original post when you said that he was fine aftter you let him out and took him into the bedroom - so there ya go, he's one clever little guy, he worked out all by himself that once he got you up in the night, that meant he'd be sleeping in yours Don'tcha just love the way they work these things out to their own advantage, I do!

Hope all stays well now, and I'm sure he won't be messing in the bedroom he won't want to get kicked out of there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >