Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Home contents insurance. Which is best?

I have just realised I am not covered I thought I was still covered for both building and contents with Abbey National, but for some reason although my building insurance is still going my contents insurance has stopped a year ago. How dim am I not to check. So I need to sort it asap. I have been on a few comparison sites and had some quotes but my poor head is spinning. I want to make sure I have accidental cover, as many years ago I tipped a can of paint over my carpet and could not claim as I wasn't covered for accidents. I was going to opt for Tesco but after reading a few reviews on the internet it seems they are never keen to pay out on a claim, and if they do it can take months and months to come through, so that has put me off a little. I had a great quote from AA but have not been able to find out if they are any good or not. So any help would be much appreciated. Any company you can recommend or any I should stay clear from?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Heather, I do not know which is best but please steer clear of CHURCHILL. I have had nothing but hassle trying to get them to pay out for a claim for the flooding of my bathroom. despite numerous quotes since November they said they were all to dear despite the fact they were all around the same figure. I still have a hole in my ceiling, no flooring on the ...well..floor!! and wallpaper peeling!!!

I worked for Tesco in the past and their insurance is ok but they can be slow to pay out too. Mu mum and dad were insured with Virgin and had no problems with a claim for a leaking roof and damage inside to carpets suite and paint work. They fixed it all no quibbles.

Good luck
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Benzmum, I had thought about looking at Churchill. So that is one I can cross off. I was with the co-op many years ago and they were hell, so I know how you feel. They are all quick to say they are giving you the best deal and taking your money but when it comes time to claim they don't want to know. Hope you get sorted soon.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Has anyone got any more info for me?
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Well I was going to say Co-Op because I personally have found them to be very good, but I see that was a no-no for you.

Also been with M&S (same problem as with Pet insurance rates went sky high for no reason)

and Prudential - they were also very good but put their prices up - but may be worth a comparison now as they might have come back into line.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Bradford & Bingley would not cover my laptop! I'm looking too - I was wondering about Sainsburys, Tesco, ING and AA.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
Well I was going to say Co-Op because I personally have found them to be very good, but I see that was a no-no for you.

Also been with M&S (same problem as with Pet insurance rates went sky high for no reason)

and Prudential - they were also very good but put their prices up - but may be worth a comparison now as they might have come back into line.
Thanks RRmum. It was many years ago I was with the Co-op, in fact it was actually I think 1982 when we had the really bad snow. My utility room roof collapsed under the weight of the snow that fell from the main roof and landed on my freezer which knocked it sideways, so it was no longer square, and therefore the door would not close. The man they sent to assess my claim said I had done it myself as snow wouldn't do that. I phoned the company as I was not happy as you can imagine and they said there was nothing they could do if that is what the assessor had reported. Well I got very angry and told them where they could stick their insurance. Maybe they are better now but its sort of once bitten as they say.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Bradford & Bingley would not cover my laptop! I'm looking too - I was wondering about Sainsburys, Tesco, ING and AA.
Thanks LS, I am still looking, it's really doing my head in. I just cannot make up my mind which one is best. You would think it would be so simple wouldn't you. AA keep sending me emails now about my quote, so I think they are keen, but are they so keen if you have to make a claim. I have not found out anything good or bad about them yet. Good luck with your search as well.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 06:26 AM
I am looking as well.
Do not use AA as a couple of years ago at the end of the years payments I cancelled my policy with them as they shot thier premium up.
2 Months later they suddenly started to take the new monthly payments from my bank account. I ended up phoning them numerous times and put a stop on the payments with my bank, they then informed me I would have to pay a huge cancellation cost as the new policy had now started and to cut a long story short it took months of upset and hassle to finally get them to realise I didn't want thier policy and if they persued it I would be taking them to court and the national newspapers.
I am going to look at Budget and Direct line I think and get quotes as I have had car insurance or pet insurance with them before and had no problems cancelling them and they were very good when I was with them.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks Madmare, will cross AA off my list. They are bombarding me with their emails since I had a quote, and that has made me a little uneasy about them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >