View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 09:15 PM
she gets one or two walks a day depending what time i am at college. So it ranges from half hour to an hour as i dont want to over do it while shes young. She doesnt get excited about walks at all and always pulls on way home. bizarre.

I told her 'NO' and picked her up to take her upstairs.
unfortunetely i think shes learnt that when we go get her , playtime is over, as when she goes in the garden and we go and fetch her, usually playtime is over.

I dont kno what OH's dad did, probably told her off and carried on playing with her knowing him! Its impossible to enforce rules with that lot.
Like, if indie is supposed to be coming upstairs and i call her, when she starts to follow.. or not follow... they ask for her attention.. reinforcing that its ok for her to do what she wants and get attention off them rather than doing as shes told. which is a pain in the arse when trying to train her!!

Also.. she doesnt bite when shes in any particular spot.. usually if she thinks what shes doing is much better than where im gonna take her. This has also happened upstairs in the room, where i might have gone to play with her and shes got all upset and bit me... maybe thinking i was gonna do something else? i dunno.

It first started with her doin it in the garden, which was not nice, but understandable as it was obv end of her fun! but now, she does it in all sorts of situations. including when out on a walk, she will jus turn to me and start biting my sleeves and ankles... seems like shes trying to make the walk more interesting? however ive tried loads of solutions to that,inc toys and treats and diff routes etc.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2004, 05:40 AM
"unfortunetely i think shes learnt that when we go get her , playtime is over, as when she goes in the garden and we go and fetch her, usually playtime is over."

As has been said, this needs to change. She associating you fetching her with the end of her fun time. Try working on a recall in the garden with lots of praise & reward when she complies, followed by you releasing her to go off & have more fun. Do this several times every day.

You also need to try to make downstairs in the house as boring as possible for her and upstairs the more interesting place to be. Keep all her toys, bones, etc. upstairs. Do not let her have the run of the downstairs rooms. Sit in one room with her on a leash & read or do something that does not involve interacting with her. Try 'dinner bowl training' - call her upstairs when it is her mealtime or when you have a bone or some other tasty treat for her.

If she is snappy don't pick her up. Leave a leash on her so that you can control her without getting nipped (she must be supervised and not allowed to wander about on her own when on a leash). If telling her to "cut it out" when she is growling & biting is not working then I suggest you need to do some serious obedience training with her. I find a long down stay can work wonders with an over-excited, pushy, pup

Do your best to make the other members of the household realize that it is important that your training is not undermined by contrary commands. If you explain to them what is happening, and what is likely to happen, if the behaviour escalates you will surely find that they will co-operate?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 07:39 AM
thanks for the advice everyone.
Shadowboxer, unfortunetely with the rest of the people in the house, they dont think its their responsibility. which is stupid. but as u know they had to rehome their dog because they couldnt be bothered to train him and jus thought he should know acceptable behaviour.
ive tried umpteen times to explain to them, and they agree... then go completely against it the next day. Like, i told them that if they are playing with indie and she nips or bites, then they must completetly ignore her so she knows its unacceptablebehaviour. but do they? yeh right! they say 'No' in a childish voice, not really a telling off voice then start playing again

Problem is.. who are tthey gonna blame when she bites hard at them or toddler?

sorry needed to get that off my chest.lol
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Jenny,

I understand that this is a difficult & perhaps sensitive situation for you. Can you ensure that Indie is in the company of the other members of the household ONLY when you are present? If so you would be in a situation to enforce her training & prevent others from undermining it. If they persisted in playing the fool with Indie then could you not remove her to your appartment, thus giving them the equivalent of negative reinforcement For example, if she nips & they do not react in the manner you require then you say "ok, she is not responding well to you at the moment so, unless you give her the correction she requires, I will take her upstairs & try again tomorrow". If you are firm & persistant they just might get the message. If not, and if they are the stimulus for Idie's unacceptable behaviour, well then you just have to remove the stimulus - do not allow interaction with people who reinforce behaviour that you do not want.

Easier said than done I know, but I hope you can work this problem out.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

15-10-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree with SB..
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 04:20 PM
lol shadowboxer, u do make me laugh reprimand members of the household instead... i like that
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2