Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Neighbour conned!

This morning OH and I went out shopping, 1 hour max. Just after we left, apparently a young lad, 18(ish) knocked our door.....eldest daughter in bed as she's finished college, she didn't get out of bed. Lad went down the road and knocked next door no answer, then next door down again. Our neighbour answered, he told her he was a friend of the man that lives at No. 43 said he worked with him on the scaffolding (OH is a docker nothing to do with scaffolding) - she said 'oh Paul' he said yes and that he was supposed to be collecting £50 for some cigarettes and tobacco that he was bringing later but needed the money up front. Silly neighbour said, 'if it's Paul I'll give it to you!! ' she gave him the money, he asked for a piece of paper to so say put a note through our door to let us know what had happened and that he would be back later.

BUT.......no note, OH didn't know a thing about it, none of us smoke and neither do any of our families!!!!

Poor neighbour has been conned out of £50, she is calling the police now as she went straight to work afterwards, when she asked us about it, we told her we knew nothing, she realised she had been conned

Makes me sooo angry
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
That's terrible!!! What a nice neighbour to have done that for you if it had been the case, but I bet you feel really awful about that don't you!!! I've never heard of anything like this before, they do think of some con tricks nowadays don't they!!
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
thats just nasty how do people that do hat sleep at night
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Rather naive and trusting to part with £50 to a total stranger wasn't it? I'm sorry they were conned, but think she was a bit daft. Sorry.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki
Rather naive and trusting to part with £50 to a total stranger wasn't it? I'm sorry they were conned, but think she was a bit daft. Sorry.

Actually those were my thoughts too, no way would I part with £50 to somebody I didn't know.

It's a shame though as my neighbour lives on her own, her OH is in a nursing home, he's really ill
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Thats awful,agree silly though to part with the money,but I think sometimes people think because they are honest others are to..
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2006, 06:33 PM
See this is why community spirit and the such is almost extinct!!
The few good folk out there have it thrown back at them by the swindlers of this world!!
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Just shows how easy it is for somebody that knows what they're doing
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 12:41 PM
What a shame this poor lady got conned. People are always thinking of new ways to trick people out of a bit of cash