View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Ekks, My puppy growled at me last night...

I think this was my fault, but I was laying on the sofa, and she was asleep beside me. I picked her up for a cuddle, so she was kind of resting on my shoulder and chest. Her face up by mine.

I kept kissing her cheeks, and I thought I heard a growl, but then she does make funny noses when asleep. I kept kissing her face, then it came, a really deep and nasty growl.

I quickly placed her on the floor and wouldn't allow her back up!

Has anyone got any advice. Did I do right or wrong? My GSD I could kiss all night and he would never do that!

Was it my fault? I'm so confused!

Helpppp
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Personally, i think maybe she was just not in the mood for kissies! she may have been all sleepy and comfy and then moved and kissed all over (although not sure how i would have resisted doing the same!) she may just be trying to tell you,"mum, i was comfy where i was...stop it"

Alex
xx
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
Personally, i think maybe she was just not in the mood for kissies! she may have been all sleepy and comfy and then moved and kissed all over (although not sure how i would have resisted doing the same!) she may just be trying to tell you,"mum, i was comfy where i was...stop it"

Alex
xx
Mine does that if you disturb her sleep, without thinking I stroke her and she does the cranky growly bit too.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm really upset that she growled at me like that.

Maybe I'm just use to Kaiser being such a softy and allowing me to do anything I want to him.

Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
I'm really upset that she growled at me like that.

Maybe I'm just use to Kaiser being such a softy and allowing me to do anything I want to him.

Yes, but to be honest, just because a dog lets you do whatever you want to them, it doesn't mean that you should.

There are many dogs that will put up with anything and many who won't but it doesn't mean that the ones who won't are 'bad'.

How would you have liked it if you had been fast asleep and then picked up and head butted (kissed) when all you wanted to do was sleep?

Please, respect your pup as another living being, not as a kind of cuddly toy that is there for you to cuddle and fuss whenever you feel like it (even if they don't).

If you respect your pup/dog, you will find that a bond of trust grows so that they will let you do things to them that they don't like - but that is something that needs to be earned, not taken for granted or abused.

On the positive side, at least you didn't tell her off for growling - that is a major mistake that can have serious consequences.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Yes, but to be honest, just because a dog lets you do whatever you want to them, it doesn't mean that you should.

There are many dogs that will put up with anything and many who won't but it doesn't mean that the ones who won't are 'bad'.

How would you have liked it if you had been fast asleep and then picked up and head butted (kissed) when all you wanted to do was sleep?

Please, respect your pup as another living being, not as a kind of cuddly toy that is there for you to cuddle and fuss whenever you feel like it (even if they don't).

If you respect your pup/dog, you will find that a bond of trust grows so that they will let you do things to them that they don't like - but that is something that needs to be earned, not taken for granted or abused.

On the positive side, at least you didn't tell her off for growling - that is a major mistake that can have serious consequences.
I totally agree. Kaiser loves to be fussed, but Roxy isn't Kaiser, and she's only a puppy. I should know better!

Thank you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 12:40 PM
if you were nodding off and a giant 10 times your size shoved her face up to yours (a confrontational move for a dog) I think you`d probably object as well.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
if you were nodding off and a giant 10 times your size shoved her face up to yours (a confrontational move for a dog) I think you`d probably object as well.

Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 05:05 PM
It's great that you are taking the advice in such good spirits, that's fab

Generally, dogs don't really "get" a lot of what we might like to do with them and most dogs don't really like cuddles, or hugs, although it's true that some get to tolerate or even like them and seek them out, and get used to them as part of a social animal living with other, albeit different, social animals.

If you think about it, dogs are not really tooooo much like us, as we are basically primates and do primatey things

Dogs are so clever at adapting. If you can, try to find a copy of Kendal Shepherd's "ladder of aggression" as it shows how dogs offer appeasement and how a freeze/head turn/nose flick with tongue can, if ignored, lead to eventual snapping or biting. It's very interesting and useful. If not, try Turid Rugaas (or better, look at both )

Wys
x
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It's great that you are taking the advice in such good spirits, that's fab

Generally, dogs don't really "get" a lot of what we might like to do with them and most dogs don't really like cuddles, or hugs, although it's true that some get to tolerate or even like them and seek them out, and get used to them as part of a social animal living with other, albeit different, social animals.

If you think about it, dogs are not really tooooo much like us, as we are basically primates and do primatey things

Dogs are so clever at adapting. If you can, try to find a copy of Kendal Shepherd's "ladder of aggression" as it shows how dogs offer appeasement and how a freeze/head turn/nose flick with tongue can, if ignored, lead to eventual snapping or biting. It's very interesting and useful. If not, try Turid Rugaas (or better, look at both )

Wys
x

I totally agree that dogs should not be treated as babies/toys.

I was watching Ceaser on TV and he always says give attention when they're calm and submissive, I just took it a bit far!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >