Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Morning after pill for dogs?

i have been asked by a colleague if there is such a thing as a morning after pill. her cocker was caught when a friend went round with a male dog. they didnt realise she was in season until they heard the yelping. they had no intention of breeding her, they were advised to get the first season out of the way before getting her done

please help because my knowledge in this area is lacking i had a very quick scan but i couldnt see anything about this
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Its 2 injections seperatly and they can have it upto 45 days after the incident although the sooner the better.
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
gotta love them dogsey members, always on the ball thanx for the SUPER QUICK response.

do you know anymore bout the injections? are there any risks? how far apart are the 2 shots? if you know the name of it i'll google it and see if i can find out more

thanx once again
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Don't know the risks of the injection but there are risks with pregnancy too . Especially in a young bitch getting pregnant on their first season . There are also risks attached to allowing a bitch to have pups in a country with rescue centres full of unwanted dogs ie your friend might not get homes for the pups
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Best thing would be to phone her vet and discuss it
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
they wont be having puppies but they also dont want to just take her to the vets with no idea of the risks, if there are any

basically im just trying to find out everything i can so that they know they are doing the right thing but also so they know what to look out for should she start getting poorly coz of it
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:12 PM
i think it can mess up future season patterns which wont matter if they are getting her spayed ...the risks are low

a young bitch in whelp is a huge risk
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Best thing would be to phone her vet and discuss it
she could only get the girl on the desk as the vet was busy and she didnt really know much. she'll be calling again later but was panicking incase it had to be done straight away
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Know of two bitches who had this & the only effect was to make their season longer. Neither suffered any effects. One was a young bitch whose owners didn't know she was in season, one as an older champion bitch, who had had 2 litters & whose son mated her. Neither had any ill effects. The young bitch was spayed after this, the older bitch went on to have one more litter to a suitabe dog before she was spayed.
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
teen pregnancies and now incest, its like watching eastenders!!!! [not that i do!!!]

thanx for your answers i will make sure they are all passed on and hopefully help calm her down so that i can get on with my work
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >