Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shearerbobs
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Something has upset my dogs - help needed

Hello Guys

I haven’t posted for a long time but I hope you can help me.

Yesterday I was at home all day apart from 90 minutes when I went out in afternoon. When I returned, our two dogs were acting very strange.

When I say strange I mean that Shearer (male border collie, 14 months) went out for a wee then wouldn’t come back in, he hid in the bush. When I finally coaxed him in he hid under the chair. Tess (bitch, cross, 5 years) was also very quiet but not cowering.
This carried on all evening, and when my husband came home shearer wouldn’t go to him but sat by me. If there was a noise outside they didn’t bark , they are usually very vocal to the point where the neighbour complains!

When we went to bed they snuggled side by side on the top stairs step, which they never do, tess normally sleeps downstairs, shearer upstairs.
This morning as I left for work Shearer tried to bolt out the front door ahead of me!

I’m really worried about them both, and am wondering what on earth has happened. The only time I’ve seen this is a few years ago when our neighbour hung himself and tess saw him, she was just like that then. (sorry bout that bit!)

Has anyone any idea at all?

P.s. My OH said they behaved normally on their walk this morning.

Many thanks in advance

Sarah
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe something fell over in the house and frightened them?
Becky
shearerbobs
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi

I'm not sure about that because i had a good look around and nothing seemed out of place. Even the usual trick of turning the rug upside down and tipping the wash bin over hadn't occured!

Sarah
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:13 AM
A while ago, when I was out, a delivery man came and it sent Max absolutely mental...

Turns out the delivery guy had knocked on the front door, got no answer, opened the back gate, knocked on the back door and the kitchen window.

Max had gone beserk and wrecked the whole kitchen (floor tiles, curtains etc).

He was really strange when we opened the back gate after that, as I think he expected lots of banging on the windows.

Maybe someone had knocked on the door (trying to sell something?) and they didn't like it?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:14 AM
You can ask your neighbours to see if anyone came round?
Becky
shearerbobs
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:16 AM
it wouldnt suprise me if it was my neighbour - she hates my dogs as she says the ybark all day and keep her awake!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I remember a similar scenario a couple of years ago with Flame, my GSD.

I moved into an old cottage and at first all seemed ok. Then I started coming home to strange happenings. Flame had knocked the TV over, scratched up the walls, knocked all the stuff out of the window sill and seemed desperate to get outside. Once outside I really struggled to get her to come back in I was seriously worried about her when it happened more than once.

I started to make a log of when it happened (it wasn't ever day) and asked my neighbour to keep a listen out for any strange happenings. I left a key with them when I was out in case Flame started having one of her panics.

Anyway, I eventually worked out that it was the wind that was causing her major freakouts. When the wind blew hard, it rattled some of the windows and doors and the noise obviously really distressed Flame. She would literally crawl the walls of the cottage to get out It was horrid.

I took her to see the vet and he gave us some pills to basically chill her out whenever she got really upset by this. Thankfully it didn't happen often and when I moved house it never happened again.

I know how upsetting something like this is though, so I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.