Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2005, 07:35 PM

Sonnys heart

Hi everyone

For those of you who haven't met sonny he is a mad boxer who is just over a year old and is my pride and joy. Sorry for those that have met us already how are you all and sorry for not being around uni is taking up almost all my time.

Well sonny had his heart check up and unfortunatly its bad news. His murmer is now severe and it has been recomended that we stop all un-nessesary exercise - no more trips to the park or fun time with my mums dog, well that was the vets recommendation. My OH and I are devistated as you can imagine and feel that his quality of life is more important than the amount of time he has with us. If any of you have had any experience with murmurs then I would be glad to hear of anything that you think will help. Are there any alternative therapys? I will try anything.

Love sam and sonny xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2005, 07:45 PM
hi
what have they said is wrong with him?
is he on any form of meds for his heart? i had a girl born with heart problems as i think i may have told you in chat we lost her at 9 due to dc.
what have the vets told you about sonny heart and how have they explained it all.
a murmur is common in boxers and not a life threating condition.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Our Shep a BC had a heart murmur, the vet perscribed three lots of medication and just gentle exercise (a BC - gentle exercise!) he lasted about 4 years before cancer tookover, he had his off days where we used to let him do what he wanted to do and he enjoyed his life to the full. When I did take him out, it was a very slow gentle walk - about twice the time it usually took.

Ian

P.S. he was on a anti hypertensive, fruesmide water tablet and another one to relax the walls of the arteries etc. - it used to cost about £60 a month.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi guys Sonny has a problem with his heart valve can't pronounce it exactly. It was discovered when he was 6 months and after all the tests they said it was middle of the range not good but not bad (he used all the technical terms but i am hopeless with them) at that stage they said I didn;t have to change his lifestyle cause he was ok but he had to get the tests done every 6 months. This time they said it is severe and to cut down on exercise but he isn't on medication because he isn't showing clinical signs yet but when that happens he will be put on medication right away. I just wondered if there was any herbal stuff that would help his heart or something else I could do. I am in a right state and just keep thinking about my boy who I don't want to loose.

Don't know if that made any sense

Sam xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2005, 07:57 PM
bia had aortic stenosis measured at 75 which is not great or really bad hers was in the middle range and she also had cardiomyopathy from birth. she was on beta blockers and we lost her at the age of 9.
she was in her last years before we was told to restrict exercise she did what she wanted.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry leo just to answer your question - The vet said that clinical signs that he has a high risk of suffering from are coughing, fainting and worst case sudden death.

XX
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2005, 08:07 PM
sound like b
is it the mitral valve thats leaking?
she did have fainting speels this is when the heart misses a beat so they faint but they come out of them without help.

the coughing is at the end when the get alot of fluid in the lungs but they get water meds to get rid of that .....sudden death is very rare they go into failure first, she had the speels but only ever had 2 but they can come in groups.i know what your going through i have been there if you need to chat pm me any time.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Oh Sam I'm sorry to hear about Sonny's heart
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I beleive this is something that boxers are known for ? I hope you're all ok and have plenty of time together ahead of you.
Thoughts and prayers to all of you
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 08:24 PM
awww sam , hugs to you and sonny, i wish i could do or say something to help!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >