Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kt_hughes
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Help!! Crying 8 week old pup!

i have an 8 week old tiny pup. he is a yorkie X chuiaua. I spent 4 days at home with him playing and getting him used to his new surroudings and toys.

I then began to periodically leave him in the kitchen, ensuring he had toys, water, a nice warm bed with plenty of space. I started leaving him for an hour and then go to him (although i never go in to him when he actually crying) and then leaving him for slightly longer periods.

He cries when we shut the door and it breaks my heart! Im hoping that he doesnt spend the entire day crying! i just need some one to tell me that Im not being cruel by letting him cry. I am also allowing him to sleep in our bedroom (which is fine, as downstairs is a long way in our house) but when i put him in the seperate dressing room area, he cries all nite, or scratches to get in our bed! I can put up with the crying for a couple of nights If i know its the right thing to do and it will eventually stop!

Is 8 weeks too young to try the "tough love" should i give in and just put him in our bed??
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd personally carry on as you are doing. Ignore the crying and only speak to him when he is quiet. Puppies are like children, if you give in, they learn that crying works! And no, I don't think you're being cruel. If you carry on as you are he'll be over it in no time
kt_hughes
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Ah, thanks! Thats what i was hoping some one would say! Im debating whether to get a 'crate'. iv heard they can be good for dogs but i dont know if i like the idea of locking him away just for my convenience. he just constantlly wants cuddles, which is lovely, and part of the reason i chose him because he just wants to sit on you all the time, bless him! I just dont want to have a negative effect on his future behaviour by just letting him cry!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
When you say "I hope he doesn't spend the entire day crying................" it sounds like you are leaving him for long periods. Perhaps I've read it wrong, I don't know.

Personally, I would never leave a puppy of 8 weeks crying for hours. If the puppy is tiny and gets really stressed, the puppy could have a hypoglycaemia attack (drop in blood sugar) and become quite ill.

If I were you, I would get a crate (puppies like crates, if you make it a lovely little den with toys and nylabones, etc), put it in your bedroom at night and gradually, as the pup settles, move the crate further away from you, until it is out of the room (if indeed that is what you want).

I think it is cruel to let a puppy cry for extended periods. Sorry but I would never do it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I'd personally carry on as you are doing. Ignore the crying and only speak to him when he is quiet. Puppies are like children, if you give in, they learn that crying works! And no, I don't think you're being cruel. If you carry on as you are he'll be over it in no time
8 week old puppies are the equivalent to new born babies, and I would not leave a new baby to cry itself to sleep, nor would I expect him to learn by being ignored.

Firstly as I understand it, (I maybe wrong) both Chi`s and Yorke's are in the toy category, and 8 wks is to early to take them away from their mum... (I think toy breeds go at around 10 wks??)

From what I am understanding what you are saying, is you will have to leave pup on his own for the working day...

You have only had him for a wk, so please dont expect him to get used to being on his own this soon.

Your expectations may be a little high in expecting him to get used to being left on his own so soon.

Remember you have just brought him home from all he knows, and is secure with.

You are on the right track by leaving him for a little while at a time, by building it up gradually , he will become accustomed to his "quiet time"

Crates are a good thing as long as they are not abused, and they are not meant to be used to cage a puppy /dog for up to 7 hrs at a time/

Also by , not being there during the day, is going to impair on you toilet training him..

Ideally you need to be with your pup for weeks not days, to customise him to "along time"

Remember he is a baby, babies cry when they are unsure, in time he will become more secure, and he will sleep longer, but to ignore his cries at this time is not good for him

He will be crying for many reasons, he may need to potty, want a cuddle, need reassuring all manner of things,

Leavign a puppy to cry , is not somethign I woudl do... not at this stage of his life anyway.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Our little Yorkie is crated at night. The room is pitch black (at night), she has a comfy bed and some food and water in there. She cried for the first couple of nights but was then quiet after one week. Because she has accepted it at night, she also now accepts it for short periods during the day if everyone is out (which doesn't happen often).

I would therefore suggest using a crate. It helps them feel secure.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with Cheeky chi , I would get a crate and put the puppy in it at night and have the crate in your bedroom .
Make sure the crate is positioned where the pup can see you . If he cries during the night I would cough or say Shhhh .
Don't know if you are leaving the puppy all day but a puppy of that age shouldn't be left too long . He needs very regular small meals and of course needs out as he will be being housetrained .
I wouldn't be letting him cry
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
If Chi x's are like my Chihuahuas, I would certainly not recommend that puppy is left during the day for longer than four hours, for a long time to come. Chis are very much companion dogs. My dogs miss me so much when I'm not home (so I'm told by my OH and kids). I know they would be really unhappy to be left on a regular basis for any long periods.
kt_hughes
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2009, 06:50 PM
thanks for all the comments. The Vet ok'd him to leave at 8 weeks so am happy i havent taken him from his momma too early. she had a cesarean and rejected the pups so they werent feeding off her anyway. He is already paper trained so im not concerned about that. I dont leave him for any longer than 4 hours at any time.

we have plenty of cuddles and he is eating 4 small meals a day. my hubby pops home during the day to ensure he has water & food and we make sure he gets fresh paper to pee on until we are home. he has plenty of play time when we are here and enjoys a nice variety of toys and plays in the garden under very close supervision.

I certainly didnt have him to 'leave him' i had him as a companion, but i very much want him to be a happy companion and not pine for me when i am not here. I cant be in the house all day as i have to work!

hope people dont think that im being cruel to my beautiful pup. xx
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I certainly don't think you are being cruel but, if I'm understanding it right, the pup is being left for best part of the day with just a stop half way through for food, etc. Though it's obvious you are doing your best, sorry, but it's just too long for an eight week old puppy to be left in the early weeks. Can't you take a holiday for a week or two to help the little one settle in? I'm not being critical, it's just that I know how much the little one must be missing you! I'm not surprised he's crying at night. He wants company because he's spending too much time alone for an eight week old puppy
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »