Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 03:28 PM

How long could a dog be kenneled for?

im just asking this question as a thought really, dont think it will happen but just wondered what people's responses would be.

just wondered how long a dog could be kept in an outside kennel for and from what age they can start going in there. if they had company that is and wasnt on their own.

i want a boxer dog, and my OH wants a lab, and we were on about the other day what we would do if we had both at the same time. my OH lives in a wooden lodge thing in the garden because his parents made him move out so his sister could move back in (harsh i know but whole other story) and in the garden from the people that were there before, there is a kennel and a run.

i mentioned that you couldnt really leave the boxer, lab and the small cresteds together unsupervised and then started to wonder if they could be kept in a kennel when no one was there?

what do people think?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't see a problem in keeping a dog in an out door kennel while you are not there. Provided they are introduced to it properly of course. A Lab would probably be fine in an unheated kennel as they don't generally feel the cold at all. Boxers on the other hand have quite short coats? I'm not sure how well they would cope with it.

I'm not quite understanding of your situation though. You and your boyfriend want to get a Boxer and a Lab. Presumably you would be getting these at least a year or two apart from each other, as both are quite slow to mature? would your boyfriends parents be ok housing 5 or 6 dogs (you mention 4 Chinese Cresteds in anther thread)? would they ever go in the house, or would they have to live in your boyfriends wooden outhouse?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I think if it's a solution to a problem and the dogs wont suffer because of it then go ahead. Dogs are hardy creatures and we have a tendency nowadays to lavish them with many of our own comforts and forget they are animals (which can cause a whole load of other problems but thats a different thread!)

I agree a lab would be more suited to outdoor living than a boxer.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't see a problem in keeping a dog in an out door kennel while you are not there. Provided they are introduced to it properly of course. A Lab would probably be fine in an unheated kennel as they don't generally feel the cold at all. Boxers on the other hand have quite short coats? I'm not sure how well they would cope with it.

I'm not quite understanding of your situation though. You and your boyfriend want to get a Boxer and a Lab. Presumably you would be getting these at least a year or two apart from each other, as both are quite slow to mature? would your boyfriends parents be ok housing 5 or 6 dogs (you mention 4 Chinese Cresteds in anther thread)? would they ever go in the house, or would they have to live in your boyfriends wooden outhouse?
right, i did say that i dont really see this happening, it was more a question of thought than me getting myself into the situation.
i dont know if we would ever have either breed together, he likes boxers but is more keen on labs, i like labs but am more keen to own a boxer.
the house is a pub, and dogs are welcome and all times so could go in if we went with them. the cabin, or the hut as we call it is fully heated has electricity/water etc so is more like a caravan, but bigger. kind of like a small house, so whenever we were in they would be in there with us, if we go in the pub for an hour or so they would probably come with.
as for his mum and dad they dont mind. they are animal crazy, have two dogs of their own and 2 cats, and are also looking at fostering dogs.

i just wondered really whether it was ok to keep dogs kennelled during the day when there wasnt someone there because i wouldnt want them running riot in the hut, with the cresteds unsupervised i would be worried about an accident.

again not saying this situation is ever going to happen, it was just a general thought i had about dogs being in kennels.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
i dont see anything wrong with a dog being left in a kennel when the owners are out. my uncle does that with his lab (and many that have gone before) when he is out and has never had any problems. they always go in happily, although they are always happy to come out too