Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2012, 02:47 AM

Can dogs eat pineapple?

Hi all,

I've seen some conflicting information so I wanted to ask your opinion on this. Two of my three love fruit and veggies (one of them so much that he asks and does this silly little dance). This is actually very convenient, as that one has a lowish thyroid condition so we need to keep his diet on the light side and his favourite treats are apple and carrot, but they seem to love EVERYTHING and I know not everything is safe. I know they must not have grapes and corn is dodgy, and I am leery of avocado. Is pineapple OK? If I ever have some, they really, really, really want it. I usually beg them off with some melon. They love that so much they have been known to steal rinds out of the (closed) compost bucket. I don't know how they got in there.

They eat a well balanced dry food. The apples and veggies pretty much take the place of other treats and dental chews.

Any fruits or veggies you would suggest I avoid? Thanks!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-12-2012, 03:00 AM
I've never given my own dog any, but some people give a dog pineapple juice if they have a habit of er, eating their own poo (It's meant to put them off) (see: Unsavoury habit!)

Also in this thread: Can dogs eat oranges? a few people have stated they give their dogs pineapple.

Regarding food to avoid... check out this thread: Food to avoid!

You know we need to see pics or videos of the dance now that you've mentioned it don't you?
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Thank you! Own-poo-eating is fortunately not a problem. I didn't know about Xylitol. I despise all artificial sweeteners and we don't use any. We checked and our toothpaste doesn't have Xylitol, but even so from now on dead toothpaste tubes are going in the kitchen bin. I have found them chewed up in the past. Given the pups' obvious preference for sweet fruits and veggies, I really don't want them getting any of that ghastly ick thinking it's a sweet treat.

You know we need to see pics or videos of the dance now that you've mentioned it don't you?
I'll see what we can do! I'll get him to say the word if I can.
james6
New Member!
Male 

06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Our vet suggested putting pineapple juice in his food,
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Mine love it it comes a very close second to cherries (de-stoned)

I don't give them loads of fruit though, just in case it upsets their tummies, just 3-4 pieces
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2012, 07:09 PM
From memory, Pineapple is good for tummy upsets and I have given mine cottage cheese with pineapple lots of times.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Hi all,

I've seen some conflicting information so I wanted to ask your opinion on this. Two of my three love fruit and veggies (one of them so much that he asks and does this silly little dance). This is actually very convenient, as that one has a lowish thyroid condition so we need to keep his diet on the light side and his favourite treats are apple and carrot, but they seem to love EVERYTHING and I know not everything is safe. I know they must not have grapes and corn is dodgy, and I am leery of avocado. Is pineapple OK? If I ever have some, they really, really, really want it. I usually beg them off with some melon. They love that so much they have been known to steal rinds out of the (closed) compost bucket. I don't know how they got in there.

They eat a well balanced dry food. The apples and veggies pretty much take the place of other treats and dental chews.

Any fruits or veggies you would suggest I avoid? Thanks!
Pineapple is fine and not sure what the fuss is re grapes etc and wonder if a PM was done on the dog that died . With a proper toxicologyy work up If it was from the garden it may be that the grapes had been sprayed and that it was that that killed.

As family breeders say, if grapes were toxic all their dogs would be long dead and none of them are.
I don't have time to look it all up but am wary of trusting anecdotal stuff

Sweetcorn is not toxic but it has no nutritional value as it passes straight through without being digested; try it and watch the poo! The cob is not a problem either and they love it to chew
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Pineapple is fine.

Sweetcorn is not toxic but it has no nutritional value as it passes straight through without being digested; try it and watch the poo! The cob is not a problem either and they love it to chew
I give mine fresh pineapple regulary, they love it.

Re the sweetcorn cobs though, I would never give the cobs to dogs as they can't digest them and there have been cases of them getting stuck in the intestines resulting in major surgery and death in a few cases.