Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Very nice morning, AKA Good Skye

Yesterday I was woken by a phonecall, it was my sister saying Skye had run off across the fields after another dog. This is the first time she has done this, her recall has been more or less as good as it could be(heading towards water is a different matter) I expected a lot of hard work ahead to get her back on track(had this trouble with Storm).

So today we set off for a nice long walk in the woods with a long lead and a pile of treats and off we set. First test was when a man and woman were walking behind us, Skye being giddy went to run over, I called her and she came back well, I told her to sit while they passed which she did, when they passed they gave her a stroke and she sniffed all the hands as they tend to have food.

Test 2, came when we were walking along the river bank and when we turned a bend to see a woman with an old mongrel standing waiting for us to pass, this was a hard test as they were quite close so would have been easy for Skye to go over, again I called her and she looked at the dog, me, dog, me and then run back to me. I put her on her lead and we walked past the woman, she said thank you, her dog was normally fine but was attacked on friday and is a bit nervous. Star seen me talking to this woman and came trotting over, he sniffed the dog, who you could tell was scared so Star left and went back to the undergrowth where he had been playing. I hope him staying calm when saying hello to the dog helps the dog as he will know all dogs are not a threat.

Test 3, we were walking the hill from the river back into the woods when we came across a "bounding boxer" who was off lead, the owner did not recall him(she also had a rottie) so I guessed he was ok, Star saw him first and had a little play, Skye for once was not intrested as she had found a swamp that was much more fun. In the end she decided to have a play and was chasing the boxer, the boxer then decided to turn tables and chase Skye, Star stood in the way and gave the loudest two woofs I have ever heard from him, the boxer stopped dead did a 180 and shot behind his rottie mate looking out at Star, the rottie was not helping him out though as he was carrying a tree trunk that was much better. We set off while Skye and the boxer were playing, one call and over she came.

So there you have it, a nice morning with three dogs who were brilliant(jake didnt get a mention as he was perfect). Why she run off yesterday I do not know, even more puzzling as she has been fine before and fine today.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
sounds like a lovely walk today with three lovlies ...

Maybe it was the fact that Skye was with your sister and not you. I know that Sydney is much more obedient with her recall for my OH than she is with me. She is probably almost 100% for him - for me probably 90% most of the time!!
I think it is the Mum thing (son is the same!!!)
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
sounds like a lovely walk today with three lovlies ...

Maybe it was the fact that Skye was with your sister and not you. I know that Sydney is much more obedient with her recall for my OH than she is with me. She is probably almost 100% for him - for me probably 90% most of the time!!
I think it is the Mum thing (son is the same!!!)
That was what my sister said, but she walks Skye as much as me and she is always good, whether she decided to push it yesterday I dont know.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Ohh well done Skye (and you), that was brilliant. Especially so, when there was so much temptation:smt023

Sounds like a lovely walk - love hearing about the Rottie with a tree trunk lol, soooo typical!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Ohh well done Skye (and you), that was brilliant. Especially so, when there was so much temptation:smt023

Sounds like a lovely walk - love hearing about the Rottie with a tree trunk lol, soooo typical!!
Cheers, I am proud of her today as it would have been easy at the 50/50 times to do the wrong thing.

The rottie was an old fella, I think thats why he was more intrested in carrying his log. I found it funny the way the boxer hid behind him